Problem with Arcam DV88+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by STW, Feb 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. STW

STW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my DV88+ for about a week now, and have a slight problem with it.

I'm running it through the component input to a Panasonic series 5 plasma, in progressive mode. Depending on what I'm wathching there seems to thin black lines across either the top or bottom half of the picture.
    These lines are only on screen for about a second or so, and quite often appear when the shot has changed.

I spoke to Arcam technical support who said that the problem was a new one on them. My software and firmware are the latest versions.

I really don't want to have to take the player back to the shop for an exchange. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks
    Simon

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hmm..

I would check back in the forum for other arcam threads. I am sure there was a issue with the player and the pana projector to do with funny lines..it was a bug in the machine which only affected a very small amount.. I would have a search before doing anything else.

Sorry can't help otherwise.. not using the prog scan on my player yet!

Cheers

Matt

3. peo

peo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds strange. I'm using the exact same setup - a DV88+ with a Panasonic 5 series plasma, running in prog scan, and it is working fine. Not that that's much help to you, but at least there's no obvious incompatability issues. Sorry, hope someone can help. :confused:

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I had a similar problem with Arcam DV27 and Panny5 50" plasma, but thin horizontal black line was always at the top of the screen and bottom of the picture was cropped.

Arcam support worked on the problem and came up with build *.34 which fixed it. Arcam support were excellent, perhaps another call to chase them and get them to work out what the problem is?

StooMonster

5. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, i have a sim2 dmf projector and the arcam dv88+.

Occassionaly on progressive scan mode I get white lines across the top of the screen.

I fix this by turning of the projector at the wall and then on again - and it usually fixes it.

Its annoying as I dont know whether its my projector, dvd player or both in conjuction.

hm

CaM

6. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Simon,

I too have recently purchased an 88+ and am running direct into my Pannyw5 using componet...

The other night whilst watching "we were soldiers" (pal prog) i couldnt help but notice a think black like about 3-5MM just below the widescreen bar at the top and the same above the bottom bar??

Havent yet seen it on another movie but then again i havent watched one since, will definitely look out now and keep this thread going if you get any news from Arcam on firmware upgrades etc...

cheers

Steve

7. STW

STW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all those who have replied.

I've been playing back the offending material in interlaced mode (ie with progessive off), and there were no problems at all, plus the fact that I couldn't notice any real difference. I think I may stick with that.

From what other people have said my problem was different with the black bars being about 3 thin lines, which "flashed" momentarily on the screen, most often when there was a change of shot. Others seem to have a black or white bar permanently on.

I think and carry on using interlaced mode and go from there, otherwise it's a very nice player.

8. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    if so, I may have a possible solution.

On the DV88 Plus go into the set-up menu.
    Press 2 0 1 0. You should now be in Progressive Scan Menu #2.
    Change the CRT Mode. I think the default is ON. Change it to OFF.

also, try setting it to VCR mode in the sim2 as well.

hope this helps

CaM

9. twisted

twisted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FWIW, I checked my DV27+ and it too was set for CRT = On. I'm running a Pioneer plasma and I just set it to Off.

I also played around and found that 2001 brings up the Progressive mode menu with 'Allow 625' set to On and 'Allow RGB' set to Off.

I changed the RGB to On and was apply to set the plasma from component to RGB.

10. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, I've been talking to arcam and it seems that all dv88+'s before march have a slight fault to do with not enough shielding around the power supply.

They told me it was a quick fix and that it should stop all the interferance (i.e. faint wavering lines etc...) that i have been getting with my dv88+ in progressive mode.

CaM

11. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if that is responsible for the problem I have, only just noticed it after I plastered the component cable in the wall. Not sure if it was there before and I was looking for it now that the cables are in the wall.

I seem to be getting different lenghts of red/green pixel interference which are about 30 pixels high (some smaller) about 1 pixel wide that run vertically (not straight up and down but a bit squiggly) at odd intervals over the hieght of the screen. They also scroll horizontally for about 30 pixels before returning to their start position and do it over and over.

I was thinking I maybe damaged the cable in some way pulling it through the cavity and have ordered another cable to see if it is the cable. I hope it is the player and I don't have to cut holes in the wall again.