1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Arcam DV88 - help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Staminastan2001, Nov 28, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this one has been raised before. I've had a quick search through past threads and cannot find this mentioned.

I've got my Arcam connected to my Sony 36FS70 via an Ixos scart (RGB), and in a darkened room it is easy to see a green flashing / green rolling bars moving across the screen behind the picture. The other half first spotted it as it ruined her enjoyment of Harrison Ford in "What Lies Beneath"! His face subtly changed from normal to green to a dirty brownish then back again, even when paused.

I am positive the fault is with the dvd player having extensively tested the rest of my gear using an On Dig box set to output RGB via scart, as well as using the old Sony 725 machine I thought I'd permanently retired to the spare room. The Sony is now my main dvd player again, because although subtle, once you have seen the Arcam's subtle green flashing it is impossible to ignore and is ruining my movie nights.

I sent an email to Arcam's customer support last Thursday and I've not had a reply so far - I wonder, has any one else seen this before? I don't know if the greeny flashing has always been there or whether it is a fault that has only just developed. Whatever, I am gutted because although I do love my Arcam, it shouldn't ever go bloody wrong bloody ever, when it cost me a quid short of a grand less than six months ago!

Thanks for your help.

stan.

2. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I received an email from Arcam yesterday wanting more info about my problem. Fingers crossed we can get it sorted before Xmas, otherwise I'm gonna have to rely on the Beeb for my post turkey movies...

stan.

3. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Damn Stan, that's not good!

I don't remember reading anything like this before and haven't noticed anything on mine. Does it happen with all discs or just What Lies Beneath?

4. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...every disc I play, regions one and two. I've just bought a r3 "Battle Royale" (well it's Christmas, and if you can't treat yourself at Christmas, when can you?!) so I'll be able to check that later tonight.

Arcam's finest are helping me a the moment (cheers M didn't-get-your-sirname and and JD!) so fingers crossed it's gonna get sorted.

Bishman. Watch a dvd in the pitch darkness and pause it when there's a fade / black screen. I hope it is just my machine and is therefore fixable, so *please* tell me you still don't see anything!

Atb,
    dan.

5. Mr Plumbs

Mr Plumbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly not come across this one either outputting through a QED RGB only Squart into my Panasonic TV. I've had alternating dark / light images from an older player curtesy of a dodgy scart lead before but nothing from the Arcam.

Sounds silly, but you've ruled out the scart I asume with the Sony.

Also, have you checked the setup menu for output format (PAL / AUTO) and also Output type (RGB, Comp). You don't mention whether the disk is Region 1 or 2. Certainly our Region 2 version doesn't do this but if you let me know scenes (assuming it happens at the same place each time), I can check!

6. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...honest I have! Yes, the scart is fine because I used the same one with the Sony dvd and the On Dig box. I normally leave the Arcam in Auto mode but I still get the greeny flashes when I specify PAL or NTSC output, depending on which disc is in the machine. "What Lies Beneath" is r2 and the green flashes happen throughout the film. The effect is a constant, rather than an intermittent (sp?!) one, particularly noticable on fleshtones or (the giveaway) on fades-to-black when you're watching in a darkened room.

I have convinced myself my player is playing up, having tested everything else out (TV, Scart, spare dvd player) and everything else has passed my "does-this-flash-green?" test.

My poorly little Arcam... Bless it.

Thanks for all your help so far!

stan.

7. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I want to quickly mention that John Dawson from Arcam is beavering away at my problem on the quiet for me. The guy is a superstar, and I'm so grateful that if I had a wife, I'd lend him her for a week (at the very least) by way of thank you... Cheers, John!

stan.

8. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Stan, sorry I have been so long getting on the case but I have been crazily busy at work, this is always my busiest time of year.

Anyway, I checked out a few of my discs, region 1 and 2 and found no evidence of the problems you are mentioning. So I guess it is particular to your player. Is it still under guarantee, if so I would be getting onto your dealer for a replacement.

All the best and merry christmas