1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Arcam A85 amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Marcel, Sep 18, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Marcel

Marcel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the above amp. Connected my Yamaha's RX-V595 power out to the AV in on the Arcam, leaving the Yamaha to only drive center and rear speakers for home cinema use. Volume level on the Arcam is set to -10dB (so it matches the output level of the Yamaha). Front speakers are connected to the A85. Occassionally now, the Arcam completely turns off (even the red light indicating 'stand-by' is out). CD playback through the DV88 seems to be ok so far. The DV88 is connected to the A85. Anyone else had this problem?

Btw, unfortunately, this is the second Arcam that didn't work 'out of the box' as I've had to return the first DV88 because of occassional picture freezes . I've contacted Arcam support yesterday, but no response so far..Makes me kind of feel I should have gone for NAD of othr components

cheers,<br />Marcel

2. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I run my home cinema via a Yam E800 (which drives the front and rears) in to an A85. The A85 is superb though I must admit, Arcam's quality control is sometimes bad.

Your problem of it switching off. I've had this happen once but then I was driving the amp very hard (Everything, Everything by Underworld I think!). The A85 turned itself off briefly and then turned back on. I then turned the gain down to -16dB and matched the Yam to the A85 instead (the A85 was at about -8dB). It hasn't (touch wood) happened again - even when driving to ridiculous levels!

I hope this helps.