1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with analogue 5.1 outputs on Sony NS700?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gavan, Feb 22, 2002.

1. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Hi all,

just got a new Sony NS700 last night and after setting it up I couldn't get any audio from a multichannel SACD through the 5.1 inputs of my DB930 amp.

Trying the internal DD/DTS decoder when playing a DVD, and the test tone, produced nothing but silence either.

I didn't get the chance to do any more troubleshooting as I had arranged to go down the pub. I will try a more comprehensive range of tests later (swapping the connectors for the 5.1 front pair with the known working stereo audio outs should pin the problem on either the amp or player).

However, I'd like to know if I'm overlooking something - like an on/off toggle somewhere for 5.1 audio outs.

Gav

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know much about the SACD part of it, but to get D/D and DTS you will have to connect the player to the amp via digital optical or coaxial lead, this will then give you the D/D and DTS soundtrack. This may be why you are getting no audio from the SACD.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Presumably you´re using the External Decoder setting on the amp if you have it connected via the 5.1 analogue inputs.

Also check the audio settings of the dvd player. You might have to switch one off to get another.

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Theres actually an onboard DD and DTS decoder which I have no intention of using as the amp can handle it via the coax link with more flexility in speaker management, but I thought I'd try the onboard one just to see if the problem was only SACD related.

Personally I'd rather do without the onboard surround sound decoding - for most people it just adds extra cost for no functionality.

Gav

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Digital ouptut is certainly enabled, though I was under the impression that the onboard decoder was active too since the little blue 'surround' light on the player comes on when I play a DVD.

Hmmm, if it is an actual fault I hope it's in the DVD player and not the amp, since the amp is out of warranty (must be about 2 years old now). Just goes to show you should try to test every feature in a new purchase even if you aren't using it currently, since by the time you find there's a fault in that feature it may be too late to get it sorted.

Gav

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with my 636, you have to go into the players audio menu and select the option you want........ 2channel or 5.1 which uses the on board decoders, i have it bypassed as i also use the decoders in the amp.

I also agree with you on the extra cost we pay for functions we will not use. Pioneer could make their range of players with the option of onboard decoders as could all manufacturers.

Hope you sort the problem out......bob

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Double check the front panel, on the sony 900 there is a button which toggles between 2ch & multichannel SACD playback, to see if thats the problem.

8. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    thanks Jase, but I was acutally able to get 2ch playback from the demo SACD through the DVD stereo audio phonos where it seems to be sent to if you select 2ch mode.

When I get home today I'll try swapping the regular stereo outs which I know work, with the 5.1 front pair outs and play an SACD in 2ch mode. If I still don't hear anything through the 5.1 inputs then I'll know it's the amp, which of course is now out of warranty :(

If it's the DVD player I can send it back. Will be a real pain unplugging it though and I liked the improved 'chipping' which it had over my old deck (manual and auto region select, macrovision disable and ability to override forced subtitles and copyright screens).

Gav

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Just another thought, can the amp support SACD??

At www.sony.co.uk this seems to be a feature on their mid range amps and above but not the lower end, bearing in mind yours is an older model maybe this is the problem.

I would have thought the amp would just pass thru the analogue signal but its possible it doesnt/cant:confused:

10. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Hi again,

looks like the problem was neither with the player nor amp - but me!

I tried swapping the stereo outs and the 5.1 front pair outs and still nothing when the amp was set to 5.1 input. I assumed the problem was with the amp but on second checking the instruction manual it turned out that I had plugged the player into the 'pre-out' section of the amp instead of the 5.1 inputs :blush:

In my defense, I was having to work 'blind' behind the amp so I didn't see the labels on the actual sockets (I had just glanced at the manual to find the location of the sockets and read it wrong).

All is now working OK and I can hear multichannel SACDs with no problems. Thanks to all who helped,

Gav