Quantcast

Question Problem with an STB and HTPC connection into a TV

mattjoes

Novice Member
Hello,

I have this problem with an STB and HTPC connection into a TV. The TV has one HDMI input and one composite/component input (three ports for video, two for audio). When I connect the STB from the cable company to the TV through either HDMI or composite (yellow for video, red and white for audio), it works fine. (The STB can output both HDMI and composite.)

However, I recently tried adding an HTPC connection to the TV. The HTPC only has an HDMI output, so I connected it to the TV through the HDMI input, and connected the STB through the composite input. However, while the HTPC works fine, now the STB signal has problems, with image and sound cutting off. Just for testing, I also tried using a TV from another room, this one with two HDMI ports. I connected both the STB and the HTPC through HDMI cables and the problem persisted.

Searching on the internet, I read someone had a similar though not identical problem, and was told it might have something to do with the ground wire of the TV. However, the TV has no ground wire, nor does the STB. The HTPC does have a ground wire. Might this have anything to do with the problem, or is there something else I should look into?

Many thanks in advance

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Simple option is to add a multi input HDMI switch and forget about using the Composite connection - which is always going to look inferior to the HDMI signal.

Joe

mattjoes

Novice Member
Oops, forgot to mention I did try that as well. I bought an HDMI switch and plugged the PC and the STB into it, and the STB still had problems. For some reason, when both STB and HTPC are plugged into the TV, the STB signal suffers.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
That is likely the problem - the switch is relying on the connected Source device to power the switch electronics, try a Switch which is externally powered.

Joe