1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Acoustimass 6 subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by adrian.stewart, May 12, 2005.

1. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Accoustimass speakers and woofer going through a Yamaha DSP-AX750 SE amp. However, I've noticed that every now and again when watching Sky+ (through a digital audio output), the subwoofer turns itself off so we get really crap sound from the left, right and centre speakers only. If you change channel it sometimes (but not always) turns it back on or if you turn it off and on again at the socket.

It seems to do it when the sound is turned down below a certain level. Is this a feature I haven't bothered to read about in my manual? If so, how can I stop it from happening (without having to read the manual, which I'm not big on as you might have guessed)?

I spoke to someone at the shop where I bought the speakers who was very vague about a "fuse" that sometimes goes and I would need to bring the woofer in to be sent away. I don't really want to do this as I'd have no replacement. Especially if it's a setup problem.

Anyone got any ideas about this?

P.s. I'm aware of the general feeling about Bose on this site but when it works, I'm more than happy with it.

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It might be that at low volumes the sub can not see the signal, thinks nothing is coming though so goes into standby. Check if it has a auto standby On/Off setting.

3. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds right but there doesn't seem to be anything in the manual about it (downloaded it off their website). I think I'll send them an email and see if I get any response.

Thanks for the reply.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have you sorted this? if not how is it connected? have you set speakers to large or small in amp menu (and you really do need to read the manual)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sorry to be picky but 125Hz to 25Hz class as a sub-woofer?
    http://www.bose.com/controller?even...rce=ddprod_txt_cannon&pageName=/pro/index.jsp

hmmmmmm...............
    Correct the accoustimas BASS Module is not a subwoofer but that isnt the point here............. i would guess the amp is driving an LFE channel which is not connected. with BOSE AM speaker systems you need speakers=large, sub=no(manula says "yes" but i dont think you will here a difference), Xover= as low as possible. And BOSE is normally sold by cash grabbing monkeys so their advice (especially if learnt on a BOSE "training course" READ brain washing course is highly suspect!!!!

6. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you happen to have a stereo sub-out on your reciever, get a y-splitter and connect both into the sub to increase the input signal. Otherwise I don't know I'm afraid

Why have you posted this link? That's something out of a Bose PA unit

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK the option you posted wont work as BOSE bass modules have no line level input just high level, and the link reffered to comments by one crustyloafer who then delted for being irrelevent...he said bose dont make sub woofers i proved that they do althought the accoustimass BASS Module is not a sub woofer.

EDIT sorry i mis read your post, IF there is a stereo SUB output then a "y" splitter may help.

8. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Really? p11 of this had me fooled.

http://www.bose.co.uk/home_audio/uk_pdf/og_am6_10.pdf

I know the AM 5 doesn't because my brother's got one of those, thought I'd check on the 6 because I know the bass unit's different.

very well :)

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I removed my post because after re-reading it I deemed it to be irrelevant to the subject of this thread. My point was about the Acoustimass modules not actually being true subwoofers. Anyway doesn't matter now.

10. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good grief. I forgot to read this thread yesterday and it's all kicked off.

HD, it's not sorted yet. I have set the speakers to large and as far as the connection question goes, the way it's supposed to be. I think. What do you mean exactly? They gave me cables. I plugged them in. Monkey pushes the on button. End of technical knowledge.

I'll try the other settings you suggested. Where are we with Mroizouk's y-splitter idea?

And yes, it's a bass unit.

Thanks to all for your replies.

11. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I think I have the same effect as Adrian but with a different set-up. I have sky+, denon3803 and a velo sub usig line level input (coor that sounds good to say, only got the sub yesterday ;) )

The sub does turn off sometimes . I just put it down to me watching a normal channel in surround and not DD and the fact that there wasn't much bass...as soon as the adverts came on it woke up again.

Adrian, what are you watching when you get "really cr@p sound", is it a DD film or just a DS film or maybe just TV? If it's TV it won't sound as good as a DD sound track and will sound a bit tinny.

12. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jus,

The problem at the moment could be we have a one month old baby and he's sleeping in the room above the living room. I don't have the sound turned so low that you pull a muscle straining to hear it but it looks like the bass just gives up after a while. Recently, is Sky+ we've been watching and you get an audible click when it switches off. Like you say, sometimes it turns itself back on again.

Is this something I'm going to have to live with until the boy is a bit older and I can crank the volume up again? By which time he'll be trying to cram his pop tarts in my DVD player.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    From Bose manual.
    You may also need to tweak the room EQ knob and bass level knob ideally you need DVE or AVIA and an SPL meter but can be done by ear.
    A "Y" splitter wont help as the LFE input is a single connection not a double L+R like on most sub woofers

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yes i forgot about the line level input :suicide: but it doesnt actually make much difference if you send it all down the high levels, (been a while since i had the pleasure of installing BOSE!!!!)

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    So any joy adrian?

16. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry. Never got a chance over the weekend. I'll have a go tonight.

Cheers

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Any joy?

18. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really. I think I can live with it because it doesn't happen when the volume is at a decent level. However, I now have a annoying buzzing coming from the Panny. It only happens once or twice a day and lasts about two seconds but that's not the point.

Not sure what to do about it. I have on site maintenance but do you get them out and say "it makes a funny noise sometimes. It's not doing it now though."?