Problem with 5.1 surround sound on Philips 65OLED804/12 and Yamaha RX-V475

elzix

Novice Member
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with 5.1 surround sound on Philips 65OLED804/12 connected with HDMI cable to my Yamaha RX-V475 receiver.

I use two sources of sound:
  • applications installed directlly on the TV (Netflix) – system is Android TV
  • Playstation 4 connected to the TV
When I set sound output in TV settings to „stereo”, everything works fine but the sound output is of course stereo.

Problems start when I set sound output in TV settings to „multichannel” or „multichannel (bypass)” and then the following happens :

• when the sound output is stereo, everything works fine regardless of the source but the sound output is of course stereo;
  • when I play something on Playstation 4 and the sound output is 5.1 surround, everything works fine, I get 5.1 sound;
  • when I play something on Netflix installed directlly on TV and the sound output is 5.1 surround, then there is no sound at all. I can change tv settings to „stereo” and then the sound works, but I get stereo output. There is however a way of making 5.1 sound work on Netflix installed on TV but it’s pretty cumbersome. As the movie plays, I have to press one of the buttons in „HDMI” section on my Yamaha remote controller (1,2,3,4 or 5 – it doesn’t matter which) and then shortly after press „TV” button in „Scene” section of that remote. Then 5.1 surround sound works just fine, until any action on Netflix is taken (like pausing, revind etc.), then the sound stops playing at all and the whole button pressing operation must be performed again.
Yamaha is connected to the TV via HDMI ARC on the TV (all HDMI on TV are „ARC”), and on Yamaha receiver the connection is made via HDMI ARC port marked as „OUT”. When I try to chnge the port to other HDMI ports on YAMAHA, then only TV speakers play. Changing HDMI ports on TV changes nothing. I also tried different HDMI cable, only to find exactly same results. I updated FW for both TV and receiver, it did not help.

I would like to avoid this cumbersome button pressing operation and just enjoy the sound. Do you have any idea how I could fix this?

Supermal

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with 5.1 surround sound on Philips 65OLED804/12 connected with HDMI cable to my Yamaha RX-V475 receiver.

When I set sound output in TV settings to „stereo”, everything works fine but the sound output is of course stereo.

Problems start when I set sound output in TV settings to „multichannel” or „multichannel (bypass)” and then the following happens :

• when the sound output is stereo, everything works fine regardless of the source but the sound output is of course stereo;
  • when I play something on Playstation 4 and the sound output is 5.1 surround, everything works fine, I get 5.1 sound;
  • when I play something on Netflix installed directlly on TV and the sound output is 5.1 surround, then there is no sound at all. I can change tv settings to „stereo” and then the sound works, but I get stereo output. There is however a way of making 5.1 sound work on Netflix installed on TV but it’s pretty cumbersome. As the movie plays, I have to press one of the buttons in „HDMI” section on my Yamaha remote controller (1,2,3,4 or 5 – it doesn’t matter which) and then shortly after press „TV” button in „Scene” section of that remote. Then 5.1 surround sound works just fine, until any action on Netflix is taken (like pausing, revind etc.), then the sound stops playing at all and the whole button pressing operation must be performed again.
Yamaha is connected to the TV via HDMI ARC on the TV (all HDMI on TV are „ARC”), and on Yamaha receiver the connection is made via HDMI ARC port marked as „OUT”. When I try to chnge the port to other HDMI ports on YAMAHA, then only TV speakers play. Changing HDMI ports on TV changes nothing. I also tried different HDMI cable, only to find exactly same results. I updated FW for both TV and receiver, it did not help.

I would like to avoid this cumbersome button pressing operation and just enjoy the sound. Do you have any idea how I could fix this?
A better set up would be to connect ps4 direct to yamaha via one of its hdmi inputs so audio is direct to avr.Then use Netflix app on ps4 and see if you get 5.1 sound that way.It will be better than using the tv netflix anyway.If it works(and it should do)the problem lies with the Netflix app on tv.

elzix

Novice Member
Thank you for the reply but unfortunatelly as far as I know it's impossible to watch films in dolby vision on ps4. I prefer to have dolby vision+stereo than no dolby vision + 5.1.

Supermal

Thank you for the reply but unfortunatelly as far as I know it's impossible to watch films in dolby vision on ps4. I prefer to have dolby vision+stereo than no dolby vision + 5.1.
You said problem was with 5.1 sound.So dolby vision or not see if you get 5.1 sound with Netflix from your ps4 to your avr.

elzix

Novice Member
It does not work just as I wrote, the same problem applies to all other apps installed on TV which have 5.1 sound (like amazon video). Apps with sound in stereo work fine, but with stereo output.

Supermal

It does not work just as I wrote, the same problem applies to all other apps installed on TV which have 5.1 sound (like amazon video). Apps with sound in stereo work fine, but with stereo output.
I have yamaha rx-581 avr and Philip's 43pus7304 tv and I get 5.1 audio no problem from Pime video internal app.(just tried it.)Check settings on your avr.Otherwise raise a ticket with Philips support.

PRiSMiWi

Novice Member
Hello everyone,

I have the same problem as you, but with Philips oled 865... I am always doing the same... switching to another source in receiver and go back to tv. I found this post looking for the same issue.

Firelake

Novice Member
I have the same problem. Netflix work normal in stereo, in 5.1 I get some kind of alien sounds. :) year ago everything was fine. I have marantz av receiver and I use arc. Still no info about this issue? :(

McShmoopy

Novice Member
Hi guys, sorry to revive an old thread but I have recently purchased TAB8805 Philips 3.1 Atmos Soundbar and am experiencing the same issue with my OLED 803 TV and all the other TV's I've tested this on. Using HDMI ARC a PS4 connected to the TV outputs 5.1 just fine but any type of content on the TV while selecting multichannel bypass is outputting extremely quiet audio as if you were underwater or the channels have gone elsewhere. Did anyone else find any kind of fix for this or was able to diagnose the issue?

imytz

Novice Member
Same issues with my 50PUS8535; I use a Harman Kardon AVR receiver for Dolby Digital Plus, it works okay via Chromecast into the hdmi input of my receiver but not with the optical (toslink) from my TV to the receiver. With the build in apps / movies from HDD the TV is unable to send the right data format for Dolby Digital Plus to my HK AVR receiver over optical link.

stereo works, but I don’t want stereo..
the compressed multichannel works, but sound is really bad and volume is soft, my receiver recognizes it as “Dolby Digital” (not Dolby Digital Plus)

when I select multichannel bypass it should feed the receiver Dolby Digital + but instead I hear garbled noise or nothing. I find it hard to believe that Philips is not addressing this issue. I’ve reported it to their engineers, hopefully they will reproduce it and find a way to fix it in the next firmware.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom