Problem with 4K at Projector

Ralftt

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, i swiched to a Dell S718ql projector. Before i had an 1080p.
My chain is

windows 10 with gtx1080 => Onkyo TX-NR 555 on HDCP 2.2 => the Dell.

In win 10 my Onkyo is in device manager as a standard plug and play device. I cant select 4 K resolution anywhere in win10. Settings at onkyo didnt help.
How can i solve this and get 4K output, e.g. for streaming from my win10 to the dell pj.

Start out with the Source on a direct connection to Input 1 on the Projector to confirm you can pass a working signal to the Projector.

You don’t say how long the cable between the AVR and projector is?

Joe

Cable is: output at gtx 1080 >> 2 Meter to onkyo in >> 3 Meter to an active hdmi splitter uhd capable >> 10 meter to dell pj.

Edit: just found out about hdmi cables in general. Never cared for 4k, so I ignored completly. Sure at least one of my cables don't match the 4k requirements...

Last edited:
Take the ‘splitter’ out of the signal path and test Source > 10m HDMI > Display and if that doesn’t work try moving the Source to allow you to use a short HDMI cable to prove compatibility.

What else is connected to the Splitter?

12m HDMI will require a Fibre or Hybrid Fibre cable.

Joe

Take the ‘splitter’ out of the signal path and test Source > 10m HDMI > Display and if that doesn’t work try moving the Source to allow you to use a short HDMI cable to prove compatibility.

What else is connected to the Splitter?

12m HDMI will require a Fibre or Hybrid Fibre cable.

Joe

After the splitter (not a switch, it doubles the signal to 2 devices simultaneously) but there are 10 m to a TV, and another 10 m to dell. 1080p no problem.
Gonna test the cables as you said....

If the 1x2 Splitter 'polls' the EDID from the two connected Sink devices (TV + Projector) and only one device supports 4K UHD the Source is likely going to stick with 1080p unless the Splitter has decent EDID management.

For 4K UHD anything much over 5m can be a challenge in many systems unless you go with an 'active' HDMI cable option.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom