• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Problem with 42LG5010 backlight

CasuallyDressed

Standard Member
Hi there! I'm sorry to make my first post here a cry for help, but I'm stuck :(

I have the above mentioned TV, and I love it but for one little (huge, actually) niggle.

I spend alot of time on my Xbox 360 and so have ammended the "Game" preset so I can actually see things (the black level is so damn harsh on this TV, ***?). Now though, every now and then the backlight dims and it all goes dark again. I don't know if I've changed a setting somewhere to cause this but I don't want it happening!

Does anyone know of a way to fix it or if it's actually a fault with my TV that I should have mended?

Thanks in advance :)

Member 300569

If the backlight is dimming it might be because the intelligent sensor is thinking you are in a darker room and adjusting the brightness accordingly. Can you check to make sure the sensor isn't obscured or being subjected to a varying light source? The sensor will be at the front of the TV beneath the screen - it'll be nearly invisible but you can tell where it is as there'll be a small dimple a few millimetres across. I can't remember where it is exactly on this model but it's probably either in the middle or by the standby button.

CasuallyDressed

Standard Member
Nope, I can't see anything like that. But you did say it's nearly invisible so I might just be missing it!

There's a pretty obvious sensor next to the on/off button but I'm gonna assume that's for the remote lol

The TV attracts ALOT of dust, so it's possible the sensor is obscured. I just can't find it!

CasuallyDressed

Standard Member
EPIC ZOMBIE BUMPAGE!!

Just to report back on this! Turns out the TV was having issues with something I didn't quite understand. I had the menders in and he replaced a component (not sure which one) and then the TV was fine. It's about 18 months later and while the TV still dims occasionally, it's not nearly as bad as it was.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom