Problem with 2910 and HDMI

Skidion

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have owned my 2910 for about 8 months now and on the whole I have been very pleased with the player.

Up till recently I connected to a Benq PE8700 projector via DVI. I never had any synching issues and was very happy with the setup.

I have now replaced the projector and in the end went for the new Benq PE7700. The 7700 has an HDMI inpup not DVI, so I though simple, I will just buy an HDMI to HDMI cable to feed the new 7700.

The problem is I am not able to get any image through HDMI. I can get an image through Composite, S-Video, Component and Component Progressive Scan (Top Tip - You have to set the 2910 to ouput neither HDMI or DVI to get a Component Progressive to work). I have had the occasional flash of an image, but mostly it is a flashing green bar just below the centre of the screen. I think that lots of other 2910 owners are experiencing the same problem through HDMI and the symptons I am experiencing are all too common. E.G. Infocus 4805 Red Bar At least in this thread Denon seem to have admitted a problem by nature of the fact that they offered to replace the product.

I spoke to Denon UK and got the latest firware from them (version 8). I installed this as they reliably informed me that it should do the trick. So having upgraded the firmware I tried again with HDMI, nothing!

I then bought a DVI to HDMI cable and connected that to the DVI on the 2910 and would you believe it a perfectly stable image.

So here is my dilema, do I continue to use the DVI to HDMI connection I know works and try to forget I have a faulty unit via HDMI or do I send it back for repair for realistically 2-3 weeks and use some crappy replacement while it is away and then find it isn't fixed when returned anyway?

Has anyone else experienced problems with the 2910 and HDMI?

I can only offer an opinion as my 2910's HDMI output remains untouched, DVI or component being my viable means of connection. I would suggest that HDMI is still very much a fledgling product, and it seems Denon are still finding their feet with it. I would stick with DVI if I were you because: 1, it works. 2, it is not a bad method of connection. 3, the probable HDMI fix will be a firmware one. Consequently I would make both Denon and Benq aware of your issues but sit tight for the HDMI fix.

Finally, just as a matter of interest, have you tried an alternative HDMI to HDMI cable?

Thanx Cable,

I think I will be doing as you suggested and wait for firware updates. I can install these myself easily.

I have researched a little more and do not have a consensus of opinion yet. Some connect through HMDI no problem and others have given up and now use component or DVI.

Seems that HDMI works in some circumstances and not others. I could be firware although I was running the latest UK release and still had problems, it could be specific to the PJ that you are trying to connect to although it seems to fail with different makes and models of PJ, finally it could just be that Denon didn't get the electronics right. My vote is that electronics are up the creek :cool:, but as long as I get a digital image to the PJ via DVI then I am relatively content.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I must confirm the HDMI problems with Denon 2910 (firmware version -8). I tried to connect my unit to Panasonic PT-AE700 with several different HDMI-HDMI cables and the result was red flashes in the picture with every one of them. With DVI-HDMI I have had no problems.

Joonas said:
Hi,

Unfortunately, I must confirm the HDMI problems with Denon 2910 (firmware version -8). I tried to connect my unit to Panasonic PT-AE700 with several different HDMI-HDMI cables and the result was red flashes in the picture with every one of them. With DVI-HDMI I have had no problems.

Strange. We're using a 2910 (firmware 8) with a Panasonic AE700 connected via HDMI and have no problems at all. HDMI output is set to Y Cb Cr, 720p and using Progressive Mode AUTO 2 (for PAL). The cable is only 2m long though.

I have a longer tale. I bought Denon 2910, Panasonic AE 700, Oehlbach 10 m HDMI-HDMI.
It didn't work - no stable display. I got a new cable from Oehlbach (new release). It didn't work - no stable display. I asked Panasonic to repair it. They got my complete equipment to replicate the problem. They did a firmware update and a exchange of some hardware.
The display than just flickered every 2 seconds, but there was a stable display for 15 secs, than blue screen and again the right display.
Panasonic tested the Denon with my 10m cable and 3 other PT AE 700. It worked. They are waiting for an answer from Japan now.
I also did an updtae of the Denon firmware, without succes. The display still flickered every 2 seconds.
Now I'm waiting....

Sorry, I am not sure I completly understood the problem:

Your 2910 worked with 3 other AE700's but not yours? So do you think that the problem is with your 2910 or the projector?

Jase said:
Strange. We're using a 2910 (firmware 8) with a Panasonic AE700 connected via HDMI and have no problems at all. HDMI output is set to Y Cb Cr, 720p and using Progressive Mode AUTO 2 (for PAL). The cable is only 2m long though.

Well, I have the same settings but the cable is 15 meters long. I have not tested a shorter one.

Joonas said:
Well, I have the same settings but the cable is 15 meters long. I have not tested a shorter one.

Might be worth trying a shorter cable as a test. We have no problems via HDMI at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom