Problem with 2.1 speaker setup

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by sacoops, Feb 4, 2009.

1. sacoops

sacoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This is my first post so i'll say hello first.

Before i get to my problem let me tell you my setup. I have a monitor that doubles as my TV as it has a tuner in it. I therefore use my 2.1 Altec Lansing speakers for both PC and TV. Each speaker is connected directly to the subwoofer, and the subwoofer has a splitter with an audio cable to my PC and one to my TV

The problem i have is when i have both audio cables plugged in, my TV volume is fine but my PC sound is quite muted. I think the bass stays the same volume but the speakers drop. When i want to listen to music/play a game on the PC i have to unplug the audio cable from the back of the Monitor/TV and then the sound jumps back to normal. As i said earlier the TV seems unaffected by which wires are plugged in and where.

Is this a speaker issue? Soundcard? Cables?

If i want to get a new 2.1 system would i have to get one that has more than one channel for audio inputs? If so could you recommend a decent replacement for my current speakers. They are coming up for 5 years old now.

Thanks a lot

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Is this a speaker issue? Soundcard? Cables?

None, it is the fact that two inputs are affecting each other, the way round this is to have either a switch or take the PC sound into the TV and the TV output into the 2.1 speakers. This way when you switch from TV to PC on the TV it also switches the sound path.

If you want something better please state a budget?
    What else you may want to connect.
    2.1 or 5.1 etc etc.

3. sacoops

sacoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the quick reply.

With regards to new speakers my budget would be around the £100 mark, however if there was something a lot better for a bit more then i would consider it. As said in my previous post i am looking for 2.1 as i don't want cable clutter

4. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    If you could stretch to this CAMBRIDGE AUDIO A1V3-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc. and a pair of these ELTAX MONITOR3BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc. you will have all the bass and quality you could wish for. Far better than some 2.1 plastic box solution. The speakers from Eltax have heaps of Bass that go further down the frequency scale than a 2.1, £100 system would. The amp from Cambridge Audio is more than capable.

5. sacoops

sacoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure i have the space for those. The speakers look quite big.

I mainly watch TV and movies/tv shows through my computer. I know that a 5.1 setup would be more suited to my uses. How untidy is a 5.1 setup? Are there such things as wireless rear speakers? What are good 5.1 setups?

Thanks

6. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Wireless rears still need power and wires to the rear speakers and that alone would be your £100 budget. As I stated for 5.1 to work correctly you need a system with a optical input, then you are still looking to share between the PC and TV and does your PC have optical out?
    These may fit the bill and are excellent ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGO M SUBWOOFER/SATELLITE SPEAKER PACKAGE - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/2543 for details

aego series : acoustic energy