Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

problem viewing web pages, what is a registry?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by stolt, Oct 2, 2004.

1. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi I have a problem with my laptop using xp and bt broadband, I can open a favourite on my toolbar no problem but when on the forums if I try to click on a link it opens another window but blank nothing... If been onto bt broadband because it happend shorty after installing that (was on aol dial up before) and they have replied to saying the most likey cause is following file damaged or missing...

url.dll
    mshtml.dll
    actxprxy.dll
    oleaut32.dll
    shell32.dll
    shdocvw.dll

it says to click start and the run and type all of the above in as
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll and it shoudl show as dllregisterserver in urlmon.dll succeeded, trouble is I dont I get windows cannot find regsvr32.......

can anyone help this is driving me mad and I'm not too computer literate, seems to be one problem after another with this laptop.

thanks for looking

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,485
    Have you tried going into add/remove programs ? I'm sure you can pick Internet Explorer there and choose the repair option.
    It's also worth making sure that Internet explorer is et to be your default explorer. From internet explorer click tools/internet options then click the programs tab and tick the option at the bottom about IE checking to see if it's the default browser. Then close down any explorers you have open and try it again. I would try this option first as it's the easiest !!

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    REGSVR32 is a standard part of Windows, it's a program (REGSVR32.EXE) which should be in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory.

First, check to see if it is there using Explorer. Note that Explorer usually won't let you see that directory unless you tell it to (this is Microsoft's idea of being 'helpful') by going into Tools | Folder Options, go to the View tab and uncheck 'Hide Protected Operating System Files' and set 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'. After doing that you should find REGSVR32.

If it's not there then you'll have to get it from somwhere, not sure where at the moment.

If it IS there next right click My Computer, go to the Advanced tab, Click Environment Variables and see if \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 is in the PATH list (probably listed as %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32.

BTW, to answer the question in your thread title .. the 'registry' is a large database of information Windows uses to store information about what hardware and software you have on your PC. REGSVR32 is a program that adds information to that database about some of the software components you have, those files BT told you about are some of those.

4. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    johng, thanks for the tip I tried what you said but unfortunatley it hasnt made any difference, when i restarted its now showing the error box upon turning it on and it shows over the desktop.

kragorn - when i'm in explorer Ive clicked on tools, internet options, I cant see the view tab, what am I doing wrong?

ok I found the windows folder and then the system32 sub folder, in that Ive search for REGSVR32 and two items have shown up, not sure what do i do now?

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, we've ascertained that you have REGSVR32 on your system, so the fact that you get an error when you enter the command that BT told you to enter in the RUN box isn't due to the program not being there, instead it's because Windows can't find it.

Which is damned strange because that's where it's supposed to be and where Windows should go looking for it.

I'm not sure how your system is in this state. Sadly, in order to try to 'help' non-technical users connect to the internet ISPs like AOL and BT provide 'helpful' assistance, often sadly this means that while the PC can connect to THEIR service moving to another can be a pain because they fiddle with components and often you can't easily reverse it.

The only thing I can think of doing is as follows. Instead of using the RUN box to try to run the REGSVR32 program, do this:

Go to Start | Programs | Accessories and click Command Prompt. When the window opens enter this command you should see something like:

c:\Documents and Settings\yourusername>

Enter this command:

cd \windows\system32>

the prompt should change to:

c:\windows\system32>

now enter:

dir regsvr32*.*

you should get something like this:

04/08/2004 00:56 11,776 regsvr32.exe

now key in the REGSVR32 command BT told you to. Let's see what happens now.

6. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    kragorn - not sure how i did it may be went I went into the folders file looking for refsvr32 but I closed and restarted the laptop and it all works again, like I say I havent a clue what Ive done but its all working, I obviously have problems with it still, I guess the virus or whatever it is is still on the laptop just not actively runnning. Not sure whether to just let it be because its all working or actually try and fix it....

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't think you've got a virus, it seems to me you've possibly got some junk left behind from AOL. As for it suddenly starting working then maybe your attempt to re-install IE did work after all.

For now I'd be inclined to leave it and see if it stays 'fixed'. :)