Problem using Plex for 4K HDR movies in my new QLED TV

Maxxd

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've had 4k low range tvs for some years, so naturally I've never been able to reproduce my 4K HDR 10 bit movie clips Bluray (sound is 5.1 AAC, 5.1 AC3, or DTS HD). The content (files between 8 and 30 GB), is stored on a Synology DS218+, and locally (wired cable) the tv reproduces it on Plex (installed on the tv, direct stream and direct play enabled).

So now I bought a Samsung 50Q80A, and I was hoping to have those issues resolved, unfortunately that's not the case, image still stuttering. There's not a single 4K file (may be Bluray, WEBDL, HEVC or not), I can play flawlessly. Additionally, some of the clips (I can't tell which ones or why are they different) get the warning that without the Plex Pass, I can't transcode HDR, and images get all wrong.

What options do I have, what can do in my TV, configurations, whatever to finally be able to play my 4k blurays/remux HDR10 in my TV? If buy a NVIDIA Shield or Apple Tv, will this get sorted out?

Last edited:
It could be that the eathernet socket on your TV can only deliver a maximum transfer rate of 100 Meg...even less and not as stable if you use WiFi...the Nvidia shield has a 1gig eathernet socket so that should sort the problem out...but then it also depends on your broadband speed.

It could be that the eathernet socket on your TV can only deliver a maximum transfer rate of 100 Meg...even less and not as stable if you use WiFi...the Nvidia shield has a 1gig eathernet socket so that should sort the problem out...but then it also depends on your broadband speed.

Well I have it through a TL-SG1005D (gigabit hub), both my NAS and the TV, but honestly don't know what's on the tv socket.

I've tried with Wifi 5, it actually seems faster but still stuttering.

EDIT: Just tried speedtesting on the tv in both scenarios, local and wired. The tv socket is almost sure 100mbps. For Wifi 5, I get downloads over around 150 mbps - isn't enough to reproduce locally files with 20- 50 gb?

Last edited:
A wired connection will always give the most stable results...wifi is fine for phones and tablets...but for anything else wired is the way to go.what about connecting the hard drive directly to the TV? And trying that? Is that an option?

100 Megabit Ethernet connection is fine. The equates to about 12 Megabytes per second max throughout. Even 4K content at 60 FPS encoded using HEVC (H.265) won't saturate the connection. Amazon Fire TV 4K, and most TVs all use 100 Megabit Ethernet connections. While modern Wi-Fi has a much higher theoretical maximum bandwidth, there are many factors that effect Wi-Fi performance which are unpredictable.

A 4K UHD stream from NetFlix will max out at 25 Megabits per second (which is only about 2.6 Megabytes per second).

The Plex App on all my Panasonic TVs struggle with 4K content streamed from my local server. However, if I use the Plex App on my Amazon Fire TV 4K sticks and Cubes, it works perfectly. So it's problem with the implementation of the Plex App for the Smart TVs platform.

Regards,
James.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom