1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem using DVD+R with Philips DVDR70

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Linda Crombie, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Linda Crombie

Linda Crombie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have had my Philips DVDR70 for 18 months and apart from one small problem it has been fine. I usually record on DVD+RW discs (PC Line brand usually) and have had no problems playing them back on other equipment. Recently I started to use DVD+R discs for one-off recording and found they do not play on any other equipment, only on the Philips recorder. I have bought two different brands - JR and PC Line - but neither play back. Has anyone else had this problem??

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Did you finalise the +Rs before trying on other players? It's an option in the disc menu, and essential for compatibility.

Otherwise I'm afraid you're taking a chance with 'PC Line' media. It's usually pretty crap stuff like Optodisc-manufactured. You may like to consider trying better +R/+RW from SVP online.

This older site:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

... gives some grading of disc media codes, and which are mirrored on the SVP site in their 'ADVINFO:' labelling of products.

3. Ian Ball

Ian Ball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It's funny you should say that.

I had the Philips dvdr880 and recorded to +rw disks without any problem for 2 years - I noticed in the manual one day that you could also record to +R disks so duly went out and bought some.
    After recording to two of them I then started to get 'empty disk' messages or 'no disk' message when in fact there was a recorded disk in.
    It never worked the same again - even when reverting back to the +rw disks.
    Bloody thing had been a good recorder up to then !!!

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    As you may know, the DVDR8x0 series was plagued by a systematic manufacturing error in which the cement holding the OPU lens in place gradually changed consistency under laser power and caused misalignment. In fact, +R discs need more laser power than +RWs due to a lower dye reflectivity, and one possible explanation for your observation is that the use of +R discs accelerated that misalignment. Certainly you are not the only one to report this extreme and sudden type of failure.

It's not necessarily related to the original post - since recordings made on faulty Philips DVDRs would usually work in other dedicated players.

5. Linda Crombie

Linda Crombie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks very much for your advice. I was having a senior moment as I didn't read in my user manual about finalising DVD+R discs. Have just done that to one of my PC Line discs and now it is playing on my PC!! I'm glad I didn't throw them all away.

Cheers