1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem using Blaze SCART lead with PS2

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Adele, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I replaced the original PS2 lead with the Blaze lead, in RGB mode yellows show as blue, blues show as red and vice versa. The lead itself is okay as it works fine when I connect the PS2 directly to the TV – I think the problem may be a conflict between RGB and S-Video (and the way I’ve got everything connected). Am I right in saying that these formats use some of the same SCART pins for different colours?

My kit is connected as follows:

Grundig Sky Digibox TV out -> TV RGB SCART (The only SCART on the TV)
    Panasonic S_VHS VCR AV2 Out -> Switchbox (bog standard but fully wired)
    PS2 Out -> Switchbox
    Switchbox -> VCR SCART on Grundig Digibox

This works perfectly with the PS2 supplied cable as I get RGB from the Digibox, Composite from the PS2, the VCR records Sky on the AV2 channel and switches between VCR and Sky automatically when the play/stop buttons are pressed.

I’ve tried changing this around but can’t seem to do that without mucking up the VCR connection through AV2 to Sky. Also, when the Digibox and VCR are both on (and I have the Blaze lead connected), there is a constant clicking between composite and RGB display.

Any suggestions (apart from get a new telly with more than one RGB)?
    Cheers,
    Adele.

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you - all I do know is that in the PS2 set up guide it says that you cannot connect your PS2 to your tv via your VCR.

Maybe it is the fact that both your VCR and PS2 are in the same switchbox that is causing the conflict?

I know that is not a lot of help!!

Good luck,

Lex.

3. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lex.

I did suspect that there was a problem between the VCR and PS2 (conflicts between RGB vs S-Video?) causing the colour reversal, but I don't see another way to connect everything.

No-one got any anwers?

Everyone stumped?

Oh well....... Looks like I need a new TV with more than one SCART - or (the cheaper option) I just need to get used to unplugging everything else when I want to use the PS2 for games!!

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try this:

Digibox > TV (into the RGB scart)
    PS2 > Digibox (into vcr scart)
    Aerial > digibox > video > tv

This means you have do it the old fashioned way as far as the video is concerned but that may or may not be a problem depending on how much you use the video. Both the PS2 and Sky will use RGB and you should have no problems.

I connect my PS2 using a blaze scart via the vcr scart on the digibox and it works fine.

5. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Doubledoom,

I do use the VCR a fair bit I'm afraid - mostly to record from Sky - Would I not lose the ability to tape Sky digital programs with only an RF connection? I'll have a go tonight and see what happens...

Funds permitting, I'll upgrade the TV by the end of this year - so hopefully this will be a fairly short term problem.

Thanks for your help Lex/Doubledoom
    Adele.

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can still record sky using the RF using the method we all used 20 years ago. The digibox outputs a signal on frequency 68 (IIRC). So you just need to tune the vcr to that frequency (say on Ch 6) and record that way.

The picture quality wont be as good and the audio will be mono but it might be worth putting up with it until you get the tv sorted.