Problem (surprise) after re-tune

piros

Novice Member
Hi guys, I don't know what is up but after having to retune my freeview box (after the 30th, no channels at all were being displayed even before a retune), it now doesn't pick up any channels at all and after a scan it just reads "no channels found, check your antenna". I thought it may have been the box so tried another and also asked next door neighbour and his is also down receiving no channels at all.

I live in a flat, could something have happened on the day we all needed to retune our freeview boxes to the shared aerial we all use? I'm a bit confused at what could be the problem? If I put the aerial into the back of the TV for an analogue signal, I get channels 1 through 5 but all very fuzzy.

Any help would be great! :lease:

bobdisk

Sounds like your communal aerial system has failed. But first, what is the make and model of your box? Check that it is not one that will crash when re-tuned. Visit:
Welcome page | ukfree.tv - independent digital TV + switchover advice, since 2002 or TV Re-tune or Digital UK - Home
where you will find relevent information. This is a list of boxes that will fail after the re-tune: www.freeview.co.uk/_retuneinfo/_format/downloads/SplitNitProductListAndContacts.pdf
If you have anything that uses the SetPal chipset, you need a new box.
The reason your Freeview worked pre re-tune could be that you originally tuned when the ca system was working properly. A digital system either works, or it doesnt, thats why analogue will work on a very weak signal, but its not enough for a digital to tune, but may be strong enough for a digital that is already tuned to just work, but you will see a good picture. Were you getting any blocking (picture occasianly breaks up into squares) or funny noises on sound in the last few weeks? Do you know anybody who has done a successful re-tune (on their own aerial)? Take your box there, and try again, but first do a tune with the aerial disconnected, this will wipe anything in the memory.

piros

Novice Member
Sounds like your communal aerial system has failed. But first, what is the make and model of your box? Check that it is not one that will crash when re-tuned. Visit:
Welcome page | ukfree.tv - independent digital TV + switchover advice, since 2002 or TV Re-tune or Digital UK - Home
where you will find relevent information. This is a list of boxes that will fail after the re-tune: www.freeview.co.uk/_retuneinfo/_format/downloads/SplitNitProductListAndContacts.pdf
If you have anything that uses the SetPal chipset, you need a new box.
The reason your Freeview worked pre re-tune could be that you originally tuned when the ca system was working properly. A digital system either works, or it doesnt, thats why analogue will work on a very weak signal, but its not enough for a digital to tune, but may be strong enough for a digital that is already tuned to just work, but you will see a good picture. Were you getting any blocking (picture occasianly breaks up into squares) or funny noises on sound in the last few weeks? Do you know anybody who has done a successful re-tune (on their own aerial)? Take your box there, and try again, but first do a tune with the aerial disconnected, this will wipe anything in the memory.
Thanks for the reply mate, our box is not listed on the list you provided so assume it isn't that. I tried a rescan without aerial and again with and it still shows nothing. Seems like the communal aerial system may have crashed then? Do you think they'll know if it has crashed or will we have to bug someone to go and fix it?

A few channels used to be a bit pixelated, mainly the channel 4 ones, but it wasn't too bad.

bobdisk

Definately have a go at those responible for the communal aerial. As I said, do you know anyone with their own aerial? Have they done a succesful re-tune? If they have, take your box there, and try it. By the way, What is the make and model of your box?

piros

Novice Member
Definately have a go at those responible for the communal aerial. As I said, do you know anyone with their own aerial? Have they done a succesful re-tune? If they have, take your box there, and try it. By the way, What is the make and model of your box?
Everyone I know seems to have Sky :( I should be able to find someone I can test it with though :)

Make and models are:

Wharfedale LPDV832B

Philips DTR220

Will get on the phone tomorrow or Monday about getting someone to come and check the communal aerial!

piros

Novice Member
Well it's sorted now, someone came and fixed it so it was nothing to do with the boxes luckily :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom