Problem streaming to PS3

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Jonson, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Jonson

Jonson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Had a look, but can't find anything on my problem, which is a bit weird:

Streaming mp3 from pc to PS3 using Tversity and I have a massive lag (10...20...30 seconds) from selecting a track and it actually playing. Same goes for skipping forward / backwards.

I thought the problem was my xp firewall, so allowed access for tversity and the problem seemed to be fixed. Turned on the Ps3 today and its back to massive lag :(

Tversity seems to be working fine for streaming to my xbox 360, so don't think the media server is the issue...?

Any help much appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. filoconnor

filoconnor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the same problem when using the PS3's built in wireless card. The signal strength whilst using this was unacceptably low.
    I bought a wireless Netgear game adaptor and it is now solid as a rock. No delay at all.

3. Jonson

Jonson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks, but I hope that's not the case for me - Ps3 says signal strength is 70%, its only about 5 metres away from my router (allbeit through a wall).
    Surely this isn't bad enough to cause a problem......?? Also, surely loads of people would have this problem if that was the case.

Any other ideas anyone?

4. Stringent

Stringent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What encryption you using? Any other devices using the wireless at the same time?

5. Jonson

Jonson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Now discovered the problem IS due to dodgy wireless signal: moved the position of the PS3 slightly, and the reported signal strength increased to 100% - now streams fine. I am really surprised that the wireless reception is that flakey - is this normal? Also surprised that a signal strength of 75% ish would result in 30 second lag streaming audio.....?

6. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Unfortunately the PS3 wireless signal does seem to fluctuate greatly dependent on position. It can only take a move of a couple of inches to boost the signal. Personally i got tired of trying to find a sweet spot and opted for Homeplugs instead.