Problem Solving Game?

BlackBeltBlakey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello AVers,

My wife and I would like to find a game where we can play together. She doesn't like platform type games - no ability to use a controller accurately and no interest to learn. But she has a massive interest in using her brain in playing games. She wants to puzzle stuff out and problem solve.

I prefer to play RPGs or strategy games. I'm also happy with platform games.

Are there any games out there which combine both? The empahasis has to be on problem solving and it doesn't need strategy or RPG but it would be a bonus if it was of that genre too.

As an example, we'd love a game where came across a padlock on a door which needs opening. We'd have to find a way to open it. We would want to have to use our brains to figure it out, not just be told go here and find the key and have the key flashing on a map for us. Sitting in front of the PS3 we want to need to think and work out how to proceed.

Any suggestions for a suitable game?

Thanks heaps!
Blakey

As an extra I recall the old Kings Quest and Leisure Suit Larry games from the 80's. I read that Kings Quest is being revamped but it's not out yet. I'm guessing something like that might be exactly the sort of thing we'd be after.

Cheers!

have you considered downloading monkey island from PSN? I think I saw Sam and Max on there as well (both point and click adventures if you are too young to remember them the first time lol)

A friend of mine has the same situation with wanting a problem solving game for his wife to "help" him with.
Apparently they both REALLY enjoyed the Saw games, and the CSI games. Not sure if that is exactly what you want but they do seem to tick all the boxes!

Another nomination for Portal 2 here - you don't have to learn too much of the controller to play - sticks & triggers is about it.

Played both Saw and CSI - I wouldn't have said Saw was what you're looking for personally, although it does have a lot of puzzles, it also has a lot of bashing enemies over the head with pipes so some controller familiarity is essential. CSI is OK, play at your own pace (ie dont have to quickly react to anything on screen), piecing clues together etc and then confronting the suspects... which leads straight into...

LA Noire - you can play together - you on the controller, your wife doing the interrogating. ;)

Last edited:
Tumble. Get 2 move controllers or heck share one....one of the few Move based games that actually utilises the Movetroller properly.

I know they might look like platform games but the LEGO series are very good for co-operative play. They seldom need pixel perfect jumps and leaps (which my other half dislikes).
While a lot of the puzzles are pretty simple (they are kids games) to get 100% requires some effort. My partner and I have played almost all of them and are about to complete the latest Harry Potter.
The LEGO games seem to devalue very fast so you could probably pick one up and give it a try for a tenner or so. I'd recommend the Harry Potter or Starwars (not clone wars).

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the reviews of all these games I think the HP Lego games look like they might work. The wife is into HP so that helps. I'd get the SW ones myself but she hates SW (she has no taste!).

Thanks again!
Blakey

I know they might look like platform games but the LEGO series are very good for co-operative play. They seldom need pixel perfect jumps and leaps (which my other half dislikes).
While a lot of the puzzles are pretty simple (they are kids games) to get 100% requires some effort. My partner and I have played almost all of them and are about to complete the latest Harry Potter.
The LEGO games seem to devalue very fast so you could probably pick one up and give it a try for a tenner or so. I'd recommend the Harry Potter or Starwars (not clone wars).

Watch out for the Hogwarts Has Changed trophy (Visit Hogwarts Foyer in Year 7), make sure you do it in Story mode the first time around or it will be a grind. :eek:

Hmmm will have to check that - currently annoyed that one of the stages won't save when completed in freeplay mode - ends in a duel near Hagrid's house - neither "save and exit" or beating Bellatrix works!

another one here for portal 2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom