Problem Sharing Synology ds212j files with sky router

rustytulip

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to allow a friend access to my Synology DS212J NAS over the internet. I can't get this to work!

I manually log on to my Sagem Sky router and set up a port forwarding rule for inbound connections from port 5000 to 192.168.0.8 (5000:5000) which is the ip of my disk-station.

The FileStation application on the NAS uses port 5000 so I would expect any call to http://<my-ip>:5000 to bring up a password prompt for NAS login, but I just get a Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Can anyone think where I'm going wrong?

Cheers,
Russ.

This is hard to test unless you have a router which facilitates 'loopback'. Consequently, it's trial and error with your friend.

One of the main issues is DDNS ( Dynamic Domain Name Server ). Your WAN IP ( the Wide Area Network IP ) will change with Sky on an un-predictive basis. You can find your current WAN IP by entering your Sky Router setup or going to My WAN IP - IP Address Detection (mywanip.com)

If the firewall on your NAS and router is set to a high level ( i.e. local connections only ), you will need to add your friend's WAN IP to the NAS and the router for them to get access.

If your NAS has the ability to monitor DDNS, it's worth registering ( free ) with Managed DNS | Outsourced DNS | Anycast DNS to get a dynamic web address e.g.

"http://www.mywanipname.dyndns.org" ( not a link )

Then, when your Sky router assigns a new WAN IP, your NAS will update Managed DNS | Outsourced DNS | Anycast DNS with the latest WAN IP of your router. This doesn't help with your friend's WAN IP however which may also change from time to time and require a change to the firewall settings of both NAS and router.

This has been my experience and my workaround. Short of letting everyone in which is a major security issue, I haven't found another way of doing it. If someone else can offer a solution, I would love to hear it as I'm no expert.

best wishes,

Col.

Last edited:
I assume that your router is not on the list, under the package EZ Internet.

As you know, you need to forward your ports, I couldn't get it to work, so I set up the default DMZ under WAN setup in my router.

I have no idea how secure this is, but you can test ftp

Online FTP tester

As, stated, get yourself a DDNS account,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom