1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem setting up Belkin ADSL router

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by jazzytay, Jan 13, 2005.

1. jazzytay

jazzytay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone

I know it is meant to be simple but I am having problems getting my wireless system up and running. I have a Belkin adsl router and a Elonex exentia PC. I have just had Virgin Broadband connected (I know but I'm moving house soon and did not want to be tied with anyone at the moment!!!). My PC sees the router at full sig strength every time. I can access the belkins set up and have gone through the wizard, at the moment I only want this one PC set up. I have tried the different types of set up ie PPPOE, PPPOA and the other ones, but the result is the same "NOT CONNECTED". Is there something I'm missing or is there some setting on the PC that needs changing, when I click on internet explorer it tries to use the dial up connection, when I select "never dial a connection" in internet options and try again I just get the white page with could not connect up. Isthis a router,PC or broadband problem.
    Any advice would be much appreiciated.
    Thanks a lot

Jazzytay

2. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Jazzytay

In a dos/cmd box try pinging ip address (its google) 216.239.59.104
    If this doesn't work it means your adsl router somehow isn't connected to the internet.
    If it does work try pinging www.google.com
    If this doesn't work it means DNS is up the shoot and you are connected
    If this does work, you are connected & all is ok.

HTH

3. jazzytay

jazzytay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Mike

tried that last night with no joy, looks like im actually not connected to the internet. Ive set up the router as per the wizard and entered the details according to the virgin broadband help page on their site. What I found is that in the router set up screen after Ive set it all up it says "not connected", Im setting this up with PPPoA as recommended. I was playing about and tried the setting of single PC with no bridging (or something like that) and after I had gone through it it gave me a green "connected" in the top right corner of the router setup screen, however when I tried to open IE got the same white page with page not available. Do you think my actual adsl line is there?? Any other ideas anyone please this is costing me £17.99 a month and I cant use it ARRGGG

thanks

jazzytay

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've no idea about ADSL (I have cable) only what I've seen helping a couple of friends, but since you seem to be struggling then I'll toss in my tuppence worth.

It's my experience that routers have a status page where they detail the state of the WAN side, ie. the ADSL link. In this you'll get things like the IP address you've been assigned by your ISP. Ae you seeing this? Until you get the router connected to your ISP and know the ADSL connection is working then don't bother with the PC.

Your last comments seem to indicate you got this but it's unclear to me what you were doing when you mention 'bridging', I know what that is but can't figure how that would be associated with getting the router up and running.

So, make sure your router has a reliable connection to the ASP then the rest *should* be fairly straightforward .. famous last words. :)

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Like KraGorn I'm cable, so my knowledge is limited re ADSL......

Just a thought but...
    With my NTL cable box, there are a series of leds on the front to indicate current current status - specifically 2 leds must be lite for me to be connected.
    Is/are there similar ones on your box perhaps ?

HTH