Problem recording vhs to dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by werx, Sep 11, 2007.

1. werx

werx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my VHS player connected to my DVD recorder with a scart cable, and I'm trying to copy an old tape to dvd. The tape plays fine, however when I record the recording on the dvd has black semitransparent horizontal bands on the picture. I've tried a different scart cable incase it was faulty but to no avail. Could there be any reason for this other than a faulty connector on the dvd recorder itself?

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Welcome to the forum.

Assuming the VCR is connected to an aerial, try either disconnecting the aerial or tuning the VCR 'away' from any station which has a locked signal... i.e. to 'snow'.

It may be that there is leakage of a synchronised picture beating with the playback picture.

Report back if that makes no difference.

3. werx

werx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is no aerial connected to it so not that I'm afraid :(

4. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Is the input on the dvd recorder set to match the output of the video recorder. Video recorder only outputs composite signal (CVBS), dvd player could be set to RGB.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,309
    If the DVD recorder has an alternative composite video input, and your VCR has an alternative composite video output - then why not try this (plus audio) instead of the wretched SCART.

A standard VHS machine will not produce any "better" signal than composite video. If it is a SVHS machine and an SVHS tape, then substitute SVideo in the above suggestion.

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    OK. ...Barking up the same tree as Nigel above then... tune the DVDR away to a non station- if it is possible to do that prior to selecting an AV input by which you are taking the AV feed from the VCR. [ This all depends how your DVDR handles signal switching - but it could be sending out it's tuner signal on Pin 19 of the scart which is interfering with incoming VCR video.

Alternatively, if you are careful, you can depress the retaining lip at the base of pin 19 of the scart plug [ at the DVDR end] and recess it in it's slider so that it does not make contact. [ If it is not the problem you can always restore it by pushing the pin back out].