Problem Recording Sky TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by caryn, Jun 25, 2005.

1. caryn

caryn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    This is my first post so please excuse me if this question has been asked a thousand times before.
    Have just bought a Liteon 5006 recorder and have 'plumbed' it in according to the manual. I only watch TV through sky and do not have a terrestrial arial connection.
    My problem is I can record BBC ITV C4 etc received through the sky box, but when I try to record any other channel, I get a 'Protected Content' message. I've even tried to record the free satellite channels. Does this mean it's not possible to record anything from satellite?
    Please tell me I've missed something in the set up of my system and not replaced my VHS recorder with an expensive ornament :confused:
    Thanks for your help in advance.

2. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,037
    Caryn, i had the same problem a few months ago and i just unplugged sky for a minute then plugged in again ,leave on standby for a minute then switched on. It then worked perfectly.
    Hope this helps
    jonna

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If this fails, a product sold by KTVision might help you. Some DVD recorders can mistake noise in the tv signals for copy protection signals. Note that if you buy this product, you should also buy a power adaptor to go with it, otherwise it might not work properly. Any small 9VDC mains adaptor will do (available from Maplins, etc).

Sorry if this is a little vague, but discussions about circumventing copy protection are not encouraged in the forums, but there are legitimate uses for this product.

4. caryn

caryn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jonna :
    The power off didn't work, but thanks anyway.

Nick_UK:
    Did a bit of reading up at the link you posted and before buying the cable mentioned, decided to update to the latest firmware at the Liteon site. PROBLEM FIXED !!! :clap:

Have to say though, the instructions on the Liteon site didn't work so I had to download another piece of software to enable me to write the firmware upgrade to a dvd. Not sure if I can post a link to that, but would be happy to reply to an email if anyone wants to know.

Thanks both