• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Problem recording SKY HD on Panasonic DMR-E85H

B

Bambino

I have a Panasonic DMR-E85H which I have used with a standard SKY box for several years. I have recently upgraded to SKY HD box (Thomson DSI 8215) and whenever I try to record I get an error message on the DVD saying “Copying of this material is not allowed”. I have spoken to SKY and they say provided I am connected via a Scart then it should work and that there is no coding in the signal to stop it. Panasonic have no comment on whether there is an interfacing problem.
Any suggestions welcome.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Are you recording the programs first on the Sky+ box and then transfering them over to the Panasonic recorder ? If so I have never had a problem doing this.

B

Bambino

I have tried both recording direct and recording to the Sky box and then transferring. I get the same error message both ways.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Which programs have you tried recording ? I though the only protected programs were the box office ones. Are you using a standard fully wired scart cable ?
I'll try mine again today to make sure nothing has changed since the last time I did it, but I have an Amstrad Sky+ and a Pace Sky+ but not a Thompson one.

B

Bambino

The problem appears not to affect BBC1 or 2, ITV1, CH4. It seems to affect all other channels e.g Sky 1, UKTv Gold, Sky movies etc. I know Box office are protected so i haven't tried those.
Whislt the devices are connected via a scart cable (the same one that was in place with my old Pace box) I have not checked if they are fully wired or swapped them with other cables. I will give this a try but don't feel confident of a positive outcome!

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Some time today I will try and copy some stuff off my Sky+ boxes to see if I have a problem as well.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I've recorded OK from UKGold, Sky1 and Paramount from my Sky+ box as usual. A bit confused why you are having these problems.

B

Bambino

So am I ! I tried again last night and still only managed to record BBC1, BBC2, ITV1,CH4, CH5 after that it just dropped out. I did this by stepping through the channels whilst in Record mode so I suspect there is something in the signal that the DVD doesn't like. The question is how do I get at someone technically helpful at Sky!? It sounds like it is something to do with the Thomson box

sizzy

Standard Member
i have a thompson hd box from sky
all i can say is ive used scart for copying to my pani dmr e85h and thought the output from the sky hd box was terrible
having some time on my own on holiday i went and experimented with recording stuff from it. after much lead swapping and reviewing what i had tranferred from sky hd box including sky movies/sports every channel including sky anytime/planner i found that the s/video connection with audio left/right leads connected onto the panasonic input 4 selection with scart out to tv was nearly as good as hd
even what had been recorded onto the pani hdd was awesome quality
i can now high speed dub to dvdram discs
put these on my pc and get the .vro file converted to video ts with a slick bit of software vro to vob i found on the net and make exreme quality dvds and avi
so have you tried s/video with audio L/R ?

sizzy

Standard Member
just too add are you recording sky or another input? try recording sky tv guide as a test to make sure your on the right input

ive done that myself

srhill

Are you using the copy function to output to the dvd hdd or are you playing each individual sky+ recording?

If using the copy function I believe there have been problems recently with this function

Q

QED

Personally I'm just surprised that you have had your E85H "for several years" and it hasn't developed the "Self Check" loop bug yet.

cjg_dev

Standard Member
Mine is also still working fine. It's the oldest machine I have.

All the older Panasonic DMR boxes suffer from a PSU fault, which creates the "Self Test" bug.

Some of them failed quiteearly on, and were fixed under warranty, or on soak test.

I have the same copying problem though, now it even happens on Channel 5 movies!

There are usually two spikes per program, or Film - one at beginning, one half way through.

I had the most recent in "Shout at The Devil" and also in The recent Egypt series.

Most Sky stuff works OK, but it can pop up in US Documentary stuff quite randomly.

There are some handset patches to remove the Macrovision stuff, but I have not sen one for the E85H yet.

Gavtech

Administrator
There are some handset patches to remove the Macrovision stuff, but I have not sen one for the E85H yet.

Please note that the forum rules, which you have just agreed to abide by, forbid discussion of macrovision removal.

Please post with care on this issue. Thanks.

Rules are HERE

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom