Problem recording SKy+HD content to DVD

Kirki

Last week my SKY+HD box started playing up, and reading various posts here on AVforums it seems either the PSU or the HDD are about to die on me (losing channels, failed recordings, switches off randomly etc). :(

As I had loads of recordings on it that I didn't want to lose I decided to buy an LG DRT389H DVD recorder and back them up - so I could watch them later while still being able to get my Sky box repaired/replaced asap.

Being new at this I started recording things from BBC and ITV, everything went fine, very straightforward, very happy, but when trying to record the highlights of a football match last night I got a "detected copy protection signal" error message and could not record it. The match highlights were recorded from SkySports1 about a year ago.

Is this normal? Should I expect to get this on any material recorded from Sky channels? Or is there a way to avoid it? :confused:

I honestly don't want to infringe any copyrights - just backup the contents of my box before it joins the Sky scrapheap.

Thanks.

Gavtech

Administrator
Last week my SKY+HD box started playing up, and reading various posts here on AVforums it seems either the PSU or the HDD are about to die on me (losing channels, failed recordings, switches off randomly etc). :(

As I had loads of recordings on it that I didn't want to lose I decided to buy an LG DRT389H DVD recorder and back them up - so I could watch them later while still being able to get my Sky box repaired/replaced asap.

Being new at this I started recording things from BBC and ITV, everything went fine, very straightforward, very happy, but when trying to record the highlights of a football match last night I got a "detected copy protection signal" error message and could not record it. The match highlights were recorded from SkySports1 about a year ago.

Is this normal? Should I expect to get this on any material recorded from Sky channels? Or is there a way to avoid it? :confused:

I honestly don't want to infringe any copyrights - just backup the contents of my box before it joins the Sky scrapheap.

Thanks.

I expect it is normal.

Some programmes will be 'Copy once' flagged by sky to allow you to record them on the Sky+ box but not move them elsewhere thereafter.

It's no great surprise that such a thing would happen on a sports programme where rights issues are a big issue.

It is against forum rules to discuss methods of circumventing this problem.

Kirki

Thanks for the reply Gavtech.

It is against forum rules to discuss methods of circumventing this problem.

No problem - just wasn't aware of this "feature" until now, so if it's all down to the copyright issue then guess just have to accept it. And let my recordings vanish into thin air. :(

All because Sky sell us rubbish equipment that doesn't last 18 months... :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom