• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Problem recording on DVD with TV off

saint_ade

I have the following equipment:

Toshiba WLT66 TV with integrated freeview,
Daewoo DF-4100P DVD/Video recorder
Sky Box

The Sky Box and DVDR are looped together via Scart and then scarted via in/out on the TV.
My problem is that the DVD recording will only kick in if the TV is switched ON!!! This is the same for freeview and Sky programmes.
I have tried to do a timer recording with the TV off, but it won't record. The DVDR comes on at the right time, but instantly goes into pause mode. If you then turn the TV on, it starts recording OK. Turn it off again, and back into pause. I have tried every combination of scarting physically possible, but can't override the problem.

This can't be right...anyone know a way to fix the problem, please?:lease:

Ade

HMHB

Distinguished Member
If you are trying to record from an integrated tv freeview tuner then it has to be switched on to produce a signal for the DVD recorder to pick up, otherwise there's nothing there to record.

saint_ade

Thanks for your comment, but that's not true. I also have a Sony Bravia with integrated freeview connected to a Philips DVDR in another room. That will certainly record freeview when the TV is switched off, as I have done it many times before. There's not much point having a recording system if it only works when you are out!

I know enough to know that the TV is always receiving the signal and feeding it through to the DVD recorder at all times as long as everything is at least in standby.

So it must be something else.....:rolleyes:

Gavtech

Administrator
Firstly , have you waited long enough?

It is common for DVDR's to come into a record pause state for quite some time prior to a recording starting ... to allow the OS to fully boot.

Secondly is it possible that you have some kind of Ext Link setting on the DVDR ?
These often have different modes for interfacing with different equipment. It may be set to the wrong mode.
[I say this in ignorance of this machines capabilities. ]

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I didn't see the bit about the Sky box not recording either :eek: That should not be affected by the TV being switched off but I'm positive most other people have found that to record from a freeview tuner built into the television the tv must be switched on, but I don't know if some tvs do allow this.

Gavtech

Administrator
JohnG said:
I'm positive most other people have found that to record from a freeview tuner built into the television the tv must be switched on, but I don't know if some tvs do allow this.

I am not certain of the general implementation either, albeit I have heard that there are advanced TV's that will power their tuner section when in standby to permit recording ... but I gathered it was a fairly new and relatively rare feature.

The manual would surely specify if this is the case with this TV?

Gavtech

Administrator
Gavtech said:
The manual would surely specify if this is the case with this TV?

Ah - I see in post No 3 that saint_ade specifies with certainty that the tuner signal is being outputted.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I think I should leave this conversation as I'm probably just confusing matters :D

C

cover1

I have no problem recording from sky to dvd recorder. this should be independant of your t.v.
What/is your connection setup ???
Scart from sky to dvd : dvd to telly ?
ext 2 from telly to ??? ( ext 2 should be carrying the freeview signal out to periphials )
Once we have your connection setup we might be able to assist..:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom