1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem recording dvd with vcr

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sparkrite, May 3, 2001.

1. sparkrite

sparkrite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a sony 725 connected by scart to scart1 (rgb) on my sony 32fx65 tv.I've a pansonic video connected to scart 2 on the tv.Whilst the tv is on I can tape the dvds with no problem (for the kids to take to grannies),but if i wanted to tape one overnight for instance and turned the tv off all i get is a blank screen.Is there a fault with the tv or my set up??many thanks for any help given

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    since no one else wants to reply....i will coz i hate it when no one replies to me!

Now, i could be totally wrong, but i will take a stab! Is it possible that the signal going between your av inputs is only 'live', so to speak, when the tv is powered up? Alternatively....you are not recording from dvd to video, but playing a dvd on a tv, then recording from tv to video (i may be talking drivel!). I am assuming this cos u cant actually record direct from dvd to video unless ur player is chipped. Anyhow, i assume that if there is in fact no signal being played by the tv, then i guess that the video will just record that no signal. And b4 anyone argues u can record tv onto video (like bbc 1) without tv being on, the vid has its own tv tuner, i think!

sorry if i am completely crap....but thats my guess.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,036
    Let me get this straight - you don't have any DIRECT connection between your DVD player and your VCR? If true, then that explains it. When the TV is off, there is no route for the signal from the DVD player to the VCR.

You need to re-wire so that there is a direct connection from the DVD to the VCR to do what you want.

4. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sparkrite,

It could be very likely that your dvd player will not copy onto video because it has macrovision switched on (and if you dont have it chipped you cant turn it off). Its a way of stopping duplication into tapes. And it would appear to be working.

5. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LV426, why arnt you at your post?

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so what i said was right then!

7. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tk421

8. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know. :rolleyes:

9. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, your DVD has two SCARTS. If this is the case then all you have to do is connect the Video to the DVD and then the DVD into the RGB capable SCART socket. If you do this recordings will be possible when the TV is off. I hope this works, but it is possible that there may be problems if the video is on when playing a DVD :(