Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Problem Reading GTA San Andreas

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Euan_Tough, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Euan_Tough

Euan_Tough
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I bought GTA San Andreas the other day, put it into my xboxs disc drive and sat down waiting for it to load, but suddenly it came up with an error!! something about the disc being dirty or damaged, but it was brand new so it can't have been damaged and i had only just taken it out the box!

None of my other games did this and i ended up going back to the shop and exchanging it for an other copy of GTA SA, I tried again but the same happens, it loads to the starting video then an error accures!

I think it may be something to do with the laser lense but i don't know what i can do about it?

Has anyone got any suggestions???

:lease:

2. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    Hi, I don't know whether your xbox is modded or not but this game refuses to work with anything other than the original xbox dashboard.

If you've got an unmodded PAL xbox it could be a batch of badly printed DVD's.Try another shop.

3. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    That's totally untrue. I have an evoX dashboard and my copy of GTA:SA works with zero problems.

4. cra41g

cra41g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's nonsense! It does work with modded Xbox's - without any doubt!

We don't know if the Xbox is modded or not, but it could be a problem with the DVD drive.

More information would be handy from Euan_Tough.

5. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Actually, I had a similar issue with KotOR2. No copy would work on my Xbox. I tried from 3 different shops. Until I got one from here that worked. Email Microsoft. They offered to fix mine.

6. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    Jeez let me put your toys back in your prams.I've got an original NTSC Version and it doesn't work on Evox on my xbox or 2 of my mates so I presumed it didn't work on modded xbox's.The only way I can get it to work is by setting mt EEPROM settings to NTSC-US and running the original dash.

7. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Toys back in prams? Tad melodramatic, no? You made a statement that was untrue. We just pointed it out. How is that throwing toys out of our prams?

8. Euan_Tough

Euan_Tough
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My xbox has not been modded and i got a replacement disc from a different shop which hasn't made much of a difference.

It is most likely something to do with the disc drive as my sister knocked it a while back which ended up pulling half the disc tray out. But strangely only GTA San Andreas seems to refuse to work.

Any ideas?

9. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    As I said, contact Microsoft. KotOR 2 wouldn't work for me for a long time. Had to get a copy from a different country before it would work. They should repair the drive for you. That or get your Xbox modded and copy the game onto the hard drive. There's nothing special about the GTA disc. In fact, it's fairly small weighing in at 3.5gigs. Splinter Cell 3 is 6gigs.

10. Euan_Tough

Euan_Tough
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hows the best way to contact microsoft (email or phone) and will it cost to get it repaired.

11. Jah's Son

Jah's Son

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn guys, I have the same problem. I'm renting GTA: SA right now, as its been temporarily pulled of shelves (so I can't buy it). Thinking it was just a problem with the disc, I've gone back to the rental place twice, and all three discs I've used (none of which show visible scratches) have the same problem. I often can't get past the loading screen. Sometimes I can get past to the game, but it soon shows that damned "there's a problem with the disc you're using" screen. The strange thing is, it worked OK (sometimes froze, but hardly ever) all the way up until OS's Maddog's Rhymes mission. Now it doesn't work.

My XBOX is from 2003 (autumn). I bought a disc/system cleaner, and cleaned both my XBOX lens and the disc. Still doesn't work.

Do I really need to send my XBOX into Micro$oft? I really can't see a good result coming out of that.

What is wrong here????????

:eek: :eek: :eek:

12. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I've had the same problem as well, GTA SA always loads, but often crashes with a dirty disk error. My Xbox is modded, so I put the game on the hard drive, and I still have problems playing it from there. Must be something in the game.

13. chrisowe

chrisowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Had the same problem with Outrun 2, disc looked fine took it back to shop got a replacement it works fine. Tried the disc on me mates X-Box and it wouldn't load. :(

14. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    San Andreas has problems running on modded xbox's, it's a fact.There are many complaints on forums about the 'dirty disc error' appearing even when running off the hard drive.Like I said before, my xbox will not run it and 2 mates can't get it running properly on their modded machines either.

Certain people on this thread seem to know better though and flamed me for mentioning this before, looks like you were the ones who were wrong as it turns out.

15. Jah's Son

Jah's Son

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Man, nobody flamed you. They called you on what they say is incorrect info. I don't know if it is incorrect or not. But nobody flamed you. You just can't seem to take some criticism. Don't be so defensive.

My xbox isn't modded at all.

16. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    There are 3/4 different DVD drives shipped in Xboxes has anyone considered that the problem may be there? Is it one particular drive that is problematical?