Problem playing mp4 presentation on LG 29MT45D

Chilli Ian

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but neither of the 2 bits of software I'm going to refer to appear to have a useful user forum...
I put together a presentation using Canva, that I want to run on a loop on an old LG 29MT45D. I saved the file as an mp4, which played just fine on my laptop. However, when I transferred it to USB and tried to play it on the TV I got an error saying the file was not valid. After several attempts at other solutions I used VLC media player to convert the file to ".mp4_1080P_for_TV". Lo and behold it worked perfectly! That was yesterday. Today I tried to play it and got the invalid file message again! I took the USB stick from the TV and tried it on my laptop. It worked perfectly. Put the USB back in the TV, and again it worked perfectly!

Does anyone have any idea what is going here? I can see from events so far that perhaps removing the USB stick and re-inserting it daily might be a solution of sorts, but the TV is mounted high up (over a bar) so that would be a pain... And I'd like to fix it properly if I can!

TIA

Try something like this: USB HD Plug and Play Looping Media Player for Digital Signage

You just load the file onto the USB, plug it into the HDMI socket - and that's it! TV playback of video files is notoriously flaky and these are a great solution for very little money.
That had occurred to me, and may be the ultimate fallback plan. I guess it's just my nature that I want to make it work the way it should rather than add another link in the chain...
Thank you for your input though :)

Domestic TVs are not really designed for video playback from mp4. You can get commercial TVs with built in media players, but a standalone solution is often the better route. I've fitted more of these than I care to think about, as they just work!!

That had occurred to me, and may be the ultimate fallback plan. I guess it's just my nature that I want to make it work the way it should rather than add another link in the chain...
Thank you for your input though :)
Try Handbrake and select from presets general-fast 1080p30 (which should be default).

According to the manual its limited to 30fps video, also the USB storage must be FAT32 or NTFS, if video is under 4GB (limit of FAT32) in size then format USB as FAT32 it might read the drive more reliably.

Try Handbrake and select from presets general-fast 1080p30 (which should be default).

According to the manual its limited to 30fps video, also the USB storage must be FAT32 or NTFS, if video is under 4GB (limit of FAT32) in size then format USB as FAT32 it might read the drive more reliably.
I didn't think about Handbrake, though I have heard of it. Will def download that and have a look at it. Though I use a Linux system I automatically formatted the USB as FAT32 'cos I suspected that might be an issue.
Thank you.

Thank you all for your input.
If the ads appear to be working I'll look at a standalone solution.
For the time being the extra "bit" I'm going to introduce is a short USB extension lead, as it seems the file I have always works if the stick has just been (re-)inserted!
I can't see a link mark this as "solved" or "closed", so apologies if I'm slow to respond to any further comments.
Thanks again.

Some of these lower end and older TV's typically just run linux, it might not advertise it but there is the chance it supports EXT3 or EXT4 linux file system you could try that on the USB drive as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom