Problem playing double sided disc in Sony RDR HXD890

I'mStuckInMyTV!

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the Superman Collection (all four films), but there's a problem with Superman 1. It comes on a double sided disc - the extras are on the reverse side and the disc plays fine. However, as far as the movie's concerned (on the first side), it gets to chapter 24 and then freezes (you can hear the player trying to read the disc). Shortly thereafter, it gives a 'disc unreadable/incompatible' message. This doesn't happen on any my PC's DVD player, or the other DVD player in the house. I have many dual layer discs (the ones with a slight pause at the layer change - about halfway through the movie) and I have no problem with them.

Surely if the disc was incompatible, it wouldn't play at all? I don't understand why this is happening - I really don't want to have to get a separate player for discs such as this. I recently ordered Analyse This/Analyse That and, guess what? The first film comes on exactly the same type of disc - hopefully, I won't have any problems with this one. Could this be some kind of freakish one-off?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Anything which interferes with the optical link can cause problems ...which some readers will be more tolerant of than others.

Check the surface of the disc in good light for any obvious dirt or surface errors.

Do you have reason to believe the sticking point is the layer change moment?... If so, pay particular attention to the outer ring of the disc.

You could simply return the disc for a replacement.

[ Ignore the incompatibility message- It is just a generic message. The 'unreadability' part of the message is the relevant one. ]

Anything which interferes with the optical link can cause problems ...which some readers will be more tolerant of than others.

Check the surface of the disc in good light for any obvious dirt or surface errors.

Do you have reason to believe the sticking point is the layer change moment?... If so, pay particular attention to the outer ring of the disc.

You could simply return the disc for a replacement.

[ Ignore the incompatibility message- It is just a generic message. The 'unreadability' part of the message is the relevant one. ]

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I am certain the sticking point is at the layer change - it's more or less halfway through the film. Either way, you reckon it's a disc problem rather than the player being incompatible with it?

Either way, you reckon it's a disc problem rather than the player being incompatible with it?

Yes. It cannot be [ what is meant by] incompatible or the disc would not play at all.

I would imagine a dual layer, double sided disc is hard to manufacture and probably more difficult to read than normal discs. Also much easier to smudge the surface when both sides are used. If its the only disc the sony struggles with even if other players are ok with it I wouldn't see it as a major issue. Its better to keep the sony's optical drive for recording anyway. They're expensive to replace and probably not cost effective to wear them out with playing discs. You might try a laser cleaning disc though.

The us version is 8 discs so presumably standard dual layer discs.

There were problems reading the combo hddvd/dvd discs on some players. A similar issue I guess.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom