Problem - Philips DVDR80/051

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by URL, Mar 17, 2006.

1. URL

URL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Folks

Just wondered if I am alone here...

The DVD will play any DVD or CD from cold startup and work as expected.

If you boot the machine from cold and the first disc you insert is a DVD recordable (any) or a CDR it fails to read the disk or do anything with it.

If you boot, show it a manufactured disc, then eject and insert a recordable, it works fine without exception!

Any ideas?

Anyone know if there are firmware upgrades that may help?

Thanks

DJ

2. URL

URL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    bump....

3. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I don't have a clue about your problem, djblack, but I've also got the same model which I've only used about 6 times since new. The last time I used it, it refused to go into the edit menu to allow me to divide a title on a DVD+RW. Then when I put another one of my discs in and pressed record it said 'formatting disc' and lost me all my previous recordings.:mad:

I've tried to upgrade the firmware in the past but even after burning 3 discs various ways with the new software the player just didn't recognise them. Have you done this successfully?

This model is supposed to be the one that doesn't have problems unlike all previous Philips DVD Recorders but even a mate's model has been trouble. It didn't play DVDs at all from new and then started to and then stopped again. He's barely used it, likewise, and he's had no luck with Philips. I've now got his machine and am going to try and bring it back to life. I'm hoping on a dry solder joint problem.

I also have Philips Kala Vox Dect phones. They work but suffer from a bug where the last call continues to appear on the linked handsets which were not used. I bought the same for my parents and they have the same problem.

My parents also bought a Philips widescreen tv, the teletext resets itself and there is interference of sound between the two scart inputs.

My conclusion: Don't buy Philips products. They are not what they once were.

Rant Over. :D

4. undertest

undertest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a DVDR75 that did exactly this. Unfortunately this was right before it deteriorated completely over the next 3 or so months. Menus on recorded discs stopped coming up reliably, disc error messages started ruining discs regularly, and no disc messages started on even pressed discs off and on. Co I bought it from totally replaced the entire main drive board - laser, motors the works for free last november. It shat itself again in March. The story new ones are generally better is just a story - or maybe that should be a fable. As was said above they used to be world leaders and on that strength and the gorgeous recordings it made I bought mine, but Philips arent a bar of what they used to be and they refuse to address the problems - they keep pumping out the same issues in different packaging - as their name slides down the toilet. I pushed under NZ consumer law here and they had to refund my purchase price - Panasonic DMRH60 replaced it and the two units might as well come from different planets.

5. rt2000

rt2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, just adding my few cents worth. I've had the DVDR80 now for over 12 months and have not had any major problems with it. Regarding the startup with a RW disk, I do that all the time without a problem. Firmware I have upgraded without any problems so far either.

That said I do have the same issue with the format problem though. I found that writing data to a disk using my PC DVD writer wasn't liked when I tried to add to it on the Philips, so, it ook it upon itself to format the disk, luckily nothing major was lost. And something not mentioned in this thread is a possible memory problem on the Philips. On two occasions when recording long sequences (both over 4 hours) I found the system would freeze and only start again after power off. My guess is it runs out of buffer memory. In it's defence those sequencies were continuous pause and record sessions of NASA feeds. I have yet to see it happen on a continuous recording where it isn't being paused all the time.

Regards to all

Ron

6. Dazzle

Dazzle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My DVDR80 lasted 14 months before going off to 'malfunction planet'. I'm looking to replace this now with a Panny EX75. Hopefully the players will be like chalk and cheese, with I suspect the Panny playing the part of the Cheese.

7. rt2000

rt2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hope you are wrong in a way Dazzle but on Philips current rating my end I fear you may well be right and have taken note of the panny model so I can take a peek in the hope that it records DVD+R/RW or better still - too! As soon as it goes south I'll return here and let you know.