1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem passing Dolby Digital in MCE

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Slinkoff, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    If I play a DVD in WinDVD I get full glorious DD surround passed via s/pdif to my amp. It shows a DD input and it sounds great.

If I play the same DVD in MCE using the WinDVD decoder I don't get the same, I get sound to my amp but no DD signal.

My soundcard is a Mystique. Initially I set it to just output 2 channel sound via s/pdif. WinDVD's settings work and it still correctly sends full DD to my amp. MCE is still the same, no DD signal.

If I change the mystique to 5.1 Dolby Live processing then WinDVD continues to work correctly and this time in MCE I get a DD signal but it sounds nothing like the true DD coming from WinDVD.

Any ideas what's going on?

2. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    When playing DVD from within MCE - goto settings - DVD - then sound
    here change the decoder properties to spdif
    Unfortunately you will have to do this every single time you play a DVD with the windvd encoder :(

If you use the nvidia decoder you dont have to do this , it picks it up automatically everytime

3. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    thanks for the tip. that's a bit of a bugger though. If I use nVidia then the hardware acceleration option scrambles some of my .avi files making them unwatchable. If I disable hardware acceleration I no longer get the onscreen cursor on DVD title menus!

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I seem to have managed to get my system pretty stable with playing back divx / xvid and dvd's with nvidia decoder... and spdif out works fine too...

Nvidia Decoder 1.02-150
    Nvidia Display Driver 72.14
    Divx 3.11 alpha
    AC3 Filter v1.01a
    Xvid 1.1.0 Beta 2

lisa

5. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    thanks for that, i'll give those versions a try. Hopefully the fact I'll be using ATI Catalyst video drivers over nVidia will not affect things.

6. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am using an ATI 9600 pro with catalyst drivers and the nvidia dvd decoder - with h/w acceleration and have experienced no problems :)
    I was using the windvd decoder but got fed up of having to change the sound otions every time to watch a dvd with spdif to my amp

7. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    OK, I've found the setting and now have DD within MCE and from ripped DVDs too :)

I'm a bit confused though. I've restarted MCE, rebooted my machine, changed DVDs and the setting remains set?! I don't have to keep going back into it.

8. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    must have been thinking of powerdvd decoder - but same principle :)
    Glad its working :thumbsup:

If you can get the nvidia decoder working I think you would find it better in terms of stability and picture quality

9. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've used PowerDVD, nVidia and WinDVD. To be honest, I haven't noticed anything strikingly different between them but if I was to give one a preference I would say it was WinDVD, but only slightly. I'm using an ATI card rather than an nVidia one so that might be a factor.

I think I'll stickwith WinDVD because:

PowerDVD - No onscreen cursor for selecting in DVD menus

nVidia - Scrambles some .avi videos I have even after re-encoding, transcoding, couldn't get to the bottom of it. Switching off hardware acceleration fixes it but then I have the same problem as with PowerDVD, no onscreen selector.

WinDVD - Plays everything, onscreen selector, passthru now working :)

I wonder if there's a site somewhere that has screenshots of the same scene in a film but using each of the codecs (and possibly with both cards) to make a comparison with.

When you judge PQ what do you look for? I tend to look at edges of people and for lines anywhere.

10. crazyal

crazyal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    That'll be the version of ATI drivers your using - drop down to 5.4 and all should be well :)

But if your happy with Windvd, probably no point.

Cheers