Problem: Panasonic GS27

art-lab

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Panasonic GS27. It was a spur of the moment purchase. :nono:

I needed an entry level Cam that could 1) Shoot some videos of the upcomming birth of my first child. 2) be used as a web cam for Skype.

The sales person at Dixons mentioned that this would be the best option (I should have know better than to trust them).

When I got home I realized that this cam comes with absolutely no software. No drivers, no apps. Nothing!:rolleyes: To my frustration Skype does not seem to recognise it. Furthermore, all the other video editing software packages that I've downloaded don't seem to recognise it.

I'm running Windows XPSP2, and the most recent DirectX. Furthermore, when I find the USB DV player in "My Computer" it seems to work, albeit without sound.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Help please!

If I can't resove these issues quickly I will have to return the cam.:mad:

Thanks,

Art-lab

GS27 is a miniDV camcorder. These often do not come with any software, nor do they need any.

For video (from the tape): connect the camcorder via Firewire. Turn it on in “play” mode. Windows should recognize it . With any DV editing software you should be able to capture and edit.

Now what the GS27 doesn’t have (that the 37 does) is a USB connection.. which while not useful for DV video, is probably what you need for your webcam function.

Edit: It does have a USB connection, but only a low speed one; the 37 has USB2 and a web camera function.

If you think you have meen mis-sold then you can take it back for a FULL REFUND under the sales of goods act!

Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

I just went to the Panasonic.co.uk site and found that the GS27 should have USB2. Furthermore it should have web functionality. Furhtermore, it works when I look at it in "My Computer"!

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/camcorders/nv-gs27eb-s/index.htm

I'm not at home at the moment, but I will try the capture again tonight.

Thanks,

Art-Lab

Mistergoof,

I'm still within the first 14 days. Supposedly Dixons have a 14 day no-questions-asked policy.

art-lab said:
Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

I just went to the Panasonic.co.uk site and found that the GS27 should have USB2. Furthermore it should have web functionality. Furhtermore, it works when I look at it in "My Computer"!

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/camcorders/nv-gs27eb-s/index.htm

I'm not at home at the moment, but I will try the capture again tonight.

Thanks,

Art-Lab

Intertesting. The manual says:

When you set [USB FUNCTION] >> [WEBCAM]
and then connect the USB connection cable, the
repeat playback mode is cancelled.
(NV-GS37 only)

and

USB:
USB 2.0 compliant, (Hi-Speed) (NV-GS37)
(Full-Speed) (NV-GS27)

So it is USB2 but not high speed?

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-Support/download-centre.asp?did=142202&fmt=pdf

Here is the response that Panasonic sent me:

"In response, the webcam function on the NV-GS27 is designed for use with MSN messenger. The camera installs as a USB video device. If the Skype system does not support this type of webcam then it cannot be used with skype. To test the streaming capability of the cmacorder, double click on the USB video device icon in 'My computer'."

As I can see it in 'My computer' it is obviously Skype that is in the fault. However, I find it hard to believe that Panasonic have not checked to see if their Cam works with Skype.

Although I must credit Pani with their response time (36 hours), strangely there was no mention about any of my other concerns.

I have downloaded several free programs including MotionDV STUDIO LE for DV off of a Panasonic site as well as Video DVD Maker (www.videodvdmaker.com/download.php).

Strangely enough the MotionDV Studio does not recognise the Cam. The freeware Video DVD program does, although the sound does not seem to be in synch with the picture. Not sure if this is a software problem or a Cam problem.

Are there any other programs that I should be using?

Only a few days left before I have to decide whether to return the GS27. As this Cam does not seem to work with Skype would anyone recommend any other Cam that would a) be good at taking baby videos and the like (small), b) can be used for Skype, c) does not cost an arm and a leg.

I spent +-£155 at Dixons (after discount). I don't mind increasing that slightly in light of this experience, for software, etc.

Art-Lab

I have a simular problem I cannot get my GS27 to transfere its recording to my PC all i want to do is save my recordings onto my PC then copy them onto a DVD and sent to my family. can anyone help me with this I do get the ability to play rewind and fast forward from my PC but thats it what do I need to do

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom