Problem installing Yamaha WXAD-10 (Musiccast)

AlexisCY

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
New member so go easy on me!

I recently purchased and successfully installed the Yamaha CRX-N470D Network receiver in the bedroom of my apartment and I am using it to listen to CDs, music from USB, Net Radio but mostly Spotify, through the receiver, mobile phone or laptop. This setup works flawlessly.
Yesterday I decided to buythe Yamaha WXAD-10 streaming adapter to connect to my existing Hi-Fi system in the Living room to extend my musical pleasure (esp. Spotify) to the rest of the apartment.
I followed the usual process:
a) Add device
b) Switch the power of WXAD-10
c) Press Connect for 5 seconds
d) The Musicast application searched and then asked me to connect to the Musicast network which I did
e) I then returned to the installation application to see that it was found and I defined it as my "Living room" device as you can see below
Screenshot_20200513-121559_MusicCast.jpg

f) My WXAD-10 is connected to my Living room amplifier (Yamaha RX-V520RDS) using the phono cables supplied on the AUX port.
g) The WXAD-10 can be switched ON and OFF using the Multicast application so there IS communication with the unit - the power and Wifi light switch on...
Screenshot_20200513-115150_MusicCast.jpg

h) On the Spotify application it shows "Devices available" as follows:
Screenshot_20200513-115303_Spotify.jpg

i) When I connect to Living Room (WXAD-10) all I get is "Connecting...." but it NEVER connects. (see below)

Screenshot_20200513-115331_Spotify.jpg

I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING but I am getting nowhere and I am desperate. I have even reset everything (by removing the power on WXAD10 and reconnecting pressing the CONNECT button for 3 seconds that supposedly clears all the network settings), and re-installed but I get the exact same behaviour.
Can anyone suggest anything?
Thanks in advance
Alexis

Reboot your phone. Reboot your router.

Reboot your phone. Reboot your router.
Rebooted router and phone and still the same. Just showing 'Connecting'. Removed the room and reinstalled and again the same... The only bit that's a little puzzling is when I am adding a new device and it starts searching for it (when I press connect) it takes me to my WiFi settings to select the Musiccast network which I do. When I do that it tells me that there is no Internet connection and if I want to switch networks. I ignore that message and return to the installation process in Musiccast app where I am being prompted to select my WiFi network which I do. Immediately after that I'm prompted to select the room name and photo and then it congratulates me on connecting to the new device. Like I said before it allows me to select the device and switch on and off but when I select the new device from Spotify all I get is 'connecting...' as explained earlier...

Is it just Spotify Connect not working with the WXAD-10 or is it all services and music streamingmed to the unit?

Is it just Spotify Connect not working with the WXAD-10 or is it all services and music streamingmed to the unit?
It seems to fail on all modes.
For example if I choose bedroom (where the network receiver lives), I see this:
Screenshot_20200513-210712_MusicCast.jpg

and selecting Net Radio I see all my favourites which play fine in the bedroom
Screenshot_20200513-210950_MusicCast.jpg

When I then select the Living room where the WXAD-10 lives I see this list of sources
Screenshot_20200513-210756_MusicCast.jpg

and if I click on Net Radio i see and hear nothing:

Screenshot_20200513-210924_MusicCast.jpg

You may have a network problem. Do you run any WiFi extenders or other additional network extenders? Does your router have any smart connection features when you attach new devices?

You may have a network problem. Do you run any WiFi extenders or other additional network extenders? Does your router have any smart connection features when you attach new devices?
Yes I do - the standard router that the cable company fitted did not provide good coverage around the apartment - it had something to do with the excessive steel being used in construction here in Cyprus in the mid-70s. For that reason I brought in a troubleshooter who suggested and installed:
Ubiquiti Edge Router that connects to the existing (cable company supplied) router
Ubiquiti Unifi Access point AC Long Range Dual Radio (UAP-AC-LR)
Ubiquiti Unifi Access point AC Lite Dual Radio (UAP-AC-LITE)

The system works fine and access throughout the apartment is excellent and mobile phones, laptop and the existing Musiccast configuration using the Yamaha CRX-N470D Network receiver in the bedroom have all been working flawlessly and accessing the network without issues.

Networking is an odd thing and while it may seem everything is working correctly that does not mean it is working correctly!

Try moving the WXAD-10 next to the working MusicCast device and see if it now works. Also try connecting it via Ethernet cable to your Ubiquiti router to see if that changes anything.

I assume your cable company router is set into modem mode rather than router mode. If not the Ubiquiti router would need to be set into access point mode to prevent double NAT.

Hi again and thank you for your continued support.

At the advice of my local Yamaha dealer I have returned the WXAD-10 and I will get a replacement before the weekend.

I have not tried relocating the WXAD-10 near the MusicCast device that works, as I had left home before you posted your latest response/suggestion.

Regarding my network settings, I have access to both the Cisco EPC3928S router and the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X but I am not sure what I am looking for to answer your questions regarding the Cisco being set up in modem mode rather than router. As for the Ubiquiti I am pretty sure is set in Access Point Mode...
Below are a few screen shots and a PDF with the menu structure in case you are aware where I can get more information regarding my setup..

ubiquitiDashboard.jpg

ubiquitiNAT.jpg

ubiquitiNAT.jpg

CiscoSetup.jpg

Attachments

• CiscoMenus.pdf
    317.9 KB · Views: 128
Just in case you haven't tried this yet..
It looks like your router has two wifi channels like mine ( 2.4Ghz & 5Hz). If you have several devices all linked to the same wifi channel as the Musicast this will weaken the connection to the Yamaha. I found my internet radio was buffering because of this, changing it the other wifi channel cured it. Best of luck.

Looking at the images you are running two routers both acting as routers. This means you can have a double NAT issue with relation to the WAN connection (Internet). Also, as you have Wi-Fi enabled on the CISCO cable router. Any device connecting to this point will not be on the same sub-net of devices on the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, so may cause lots of issue with network communication.

I suspect if you get another WXAD-10 and place it in the same area the fault will be the same. You need to sort out your network! Start by turning off the Wi-Fi in the CISCO cable router and see if there is a setting to turn it into a modem rather than using as a router.

Thanks xmb and wine man, problem solved
You were correct - both the Cisco (the modem/router supplied by the cable company) and the Ubiquiti Router (which the 2 Ubiquiti Access Points are connected to) were transmitting wirelessly. At the end, after much help from Nakas (Yamaha Greece/Cyprus distributor) and the local Ubiquiti installer it was simply resolved by disabling the wireless interface of the Cisco modem. I now only see one Wifi SSID and everything works like a dream. Already planning to add a WX-021 wireless speaker in the kitchen!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom