Problem installing Windows

B

Blanchy123

I'm installing Windows, it's formatted the drive, and copied the files over, but when it starts installing them it says something about a cycic redundancy check when copying a file from e:\I386 and has to exit.

Is this something to do with the disc drive? It seems to be spinning very fast when trying to install. Is there a way of copying to files to HDD and installing from there?

Cyclic redundancy means the disc in question is naff (when you get it referring to a hard disk, panic!). You could try cleaning the disc, and the drive lens, but you're better off with another Windows CD I'd wager *cough*

Not as far as I know. Problem is, it sounds like the disc is scratched/burned badly *ahem*, so if you were to copy it straight to the hard drive, you'd copy the errors with it I assume.

Speak to the people that supplied the software.

It's either a damaged or bad disk, if you can get hold of another copy, worth trying just to rule out the optical drive.

You can in theory, copy the contents of the CD to your hard drive then run the installation from there.

However, if you have a fubar CD then this could be an issue anyway. Try the CD in a another drive first to test it's intregrity.

If possible remove the hard drive, install it in another machine as a slave drive. Then if the installation CD is trustworthy, copy the whole of it to a specific directory on the hard drive. Once done, remove and replace in the PC it originated from. The boot from a floppy or CD (there are plenty of tools around to make these), and then run the installation by runing the setup.exe from the directory you copied the file to.

Try cleaning the disc. Which file gives you that error? Because you should be bale to copy the rest of the files, apart from that one. You should be able to find that particualr file from somewhere on the 'net.

Also, this is a trick I learnt when installing an old copy of win98se:

When it throws up that error, eject the drive, and then turn the disc clockwise a half of turn. Then load the drive. And click retry on the error. Always worked when I was installing 98se.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom