Problem Installing windows on SATA Setup

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by meansizzler, Nov 6, 2005.

1. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    MOtherboard: Asus P4P800-WM

OK, So I decided to reinstall windows xp pro on my computer, I have two hard drives, one SATA for windows and one SATA as a backup drive, when I insert the windows cd and reboot it loads all the drivers and stuff from the CD then it says no hard drives found...this is the first time it happened to me, previousy I have made about 15 reinstalls on this machine, but this was when I had a Ata 133 IDE Hard drive as my backup drive, but since I changed the backup to a SATA drive it won't let me install windows, so it's a problem with the SATA I think, I checked my Mobo's Bios, and set in to "Enhanced SATA Only" previously it was "Enhanced SATA & PATA" now it finds my hard drives but the Back up drive which is 400GB is only shown as being 133GB, anyway when I reinstall windows and go to my computer the backup drive still says it is 133GB and needs to be formated, but I know myself that it is 400GB and it already has an NTFS partition on there which should be shown which is not, anyway I rebooted my PC and ran Partion Magic from a Floppy to check the drive, and it show's it as the correct capacity of 400GB and even show my partition being on there taking up 56GB and the name of it to, so I don't understand why the hard drive is not shown correctly under windows?, anywone got any ideas?, do I need to upgrade to service pack 1 and 2, maybe it will show then?, cause when I bought it and installed it the machine already had service pack 2 on, so I've never installed windows on it before with the hard drive in the PC until now...anyway if someone knows what's up i'd appreciate your help, My mobo has the latest Bios on there already...anyway i'm going to install both windows service packs and see if that helps, by the way the windows hard drive is a western digital raptor 74gb, and the backup is a Hitachi Deskstar 7K400

2. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    It woked, It worked, I installed Service pack 1 and my hard drive shows up with the full 400GB and the NTFS partion let that be a lesson to you all, Service Pack 1 contains a few driver updates like enabling USB ports and yes Large SATA hard drives...

3. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,419
    Good lesson, but also understandable SP1 is many years old ;-) Actually come to think of it XP is ancient :)