problem installing win7 on new build

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
I bought a new motherboard/CPU/memory.

Specs are:
Motherboard - P8Z68VLX
CPU - i5 2500k
2x4gig ddr3

Things go OK until installing win7 inparticuly when it's "extracting files". The PC hangs and locks up every time. I initially thought the problem was a new DVD drive (old one was IDE) so I then tried to install from a USB stick but the same results. So I then tried a different hard drive and the same thing.

The parts were 2nd hand from eBay but the seller has 100% feedback and seems legit to me.

Can anyone recommend anything or come across something similar?

Thanks.

Chuck Norris

Distinguished Member
Is AHCI set in the BIOS or IDE? Do you have multiple Hard Drives? If so, only have the primary drive you intend to run the OS from plugged in for installation.

Lastly, you may want to update your BIOS depending on revision.

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
It's setting ACHI - I also tried IDE though with same results. Only the 1 hard drive, I had an old spare I tried but as I said above I get the same results.

BIOS upgrade is an option but the CPU/mb/men were all working OK in the sellers system prior to me buying.

Chuck Norris

Distinguished Member
If it's the exact setup he had, and he's honest with not having any problems then the only things to try are.

1.) Reset BIOS to DEFAULTS.
2.) Check Sata Cable

How many partitions are being created when you attempt to install windows? Have you tried wiping the drive manually and then installing?

Never given me an issue but do you have the RAM in the sockets to correspond with one another for dual channel? I don't think it'll make any odds but worth checking.

If all this fails, try to install another OS if possible, Windows 8 Preview would do.

Edit: Forgot to say - Have you verified the ISO file you've burnt and installed to USB? If that's corrupt, could be your issue.

Last edited:

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
I've already reset BIOS/CMOS a number of times. Also tried different sata cables. I've also tried installing from the windows 7 DVD which is an original and worked fine in my previous build :(

Not partitioning it at all at moment.

Only using 1 stick of RAM.

I don't have any other OS at the moment either.

Last edited:

brookheather

Distinguished Member
The only time I've had similar problems is with a faulty motherboard - it booted fine but would always hang during Windows 7 installation.

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
brookheather said:
The only time I've had similar problems is with a faulty motherboard - it booted fine but would always hang during Windows 7 installation.
It's looking that way :-(

Chuck Norris

Distinguished Member
IIRC when windows gets to the extraction process it uses RAM as cache, I would use memtest to check your ram.

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
Fixed! BIOS upgrade did the trick :)

Thanks for your help all, appreciated.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Probably a memory compatibility issue then... (I've got the same board and cpu btw).

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom