Problem installing printer

laserbeam

My wife wants me to install her printer on her laptop and normally that is not a problem but I get the following message.Driver is unavailable.The printer is a HP Deskjet 2540 series printer and her OS is Windows 10.I am now trying to download a driver from the HP Website but seems to be taking ages.Any advice appreciated.Thanks

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Check you are only downloading the drivers and not all the bloatware and additional "printer manager" type software. The drivers should be quite small - a few mb or so.

Restart the download and see if it's faster.

laserbeam

This is what I have done so far.Click on connect new printer then wireless make wireless connection to the printer then Printer is already connected to wireless networks then I see the status is connected and the signal strength.This is where I get stuck it is asking for the ip address or(the host name)What is the host name or where do I find the printers ip address presuming it is the printers ip address they want and not the PC's

laserbeam

ll the bloatware and additional "printer manager" type software. The drivers should be quite small - a few mb or so.
How do I tell what is on the download

JTL

On the printer itself you should be able to print a configuration page that lists the network details including IP address.

laserbeam

There seems to be nothing on the printers control panel to press to print a configuration sheet.have just got this message.Unable to communicate with the USB device.I have thought of uninstalling the printer and go back to the start and install it again what do you think.Thank;s

JTL

Can you try pressing the Wireless button and the Start Copy Black button from the printer control panel at the same time. It should hopefully print a network config page.

laserbeam

Hi JTL have just done what you suggested and what it printed was Use the printer wirelessly without a router information sheet.

laserbeam

I have already tried most of that I plug the USB cable into back of the laptop then insert the software into CD writer and wait for the instructions but nothing happens.I do not plug the USB cable into the printer.

laserbeam

I am going to give it a break for a while as it is doing my head in just seem to go round in circles.Will try again later but maybe tomorrow.Thanks for the advice JTL

laserbeam

Going for a haircut (First time since mid March) this morning will be having another go at the printer when I get back.I have removed the printer from Devices and Printers so will start from the beginning I think that is best.As the laptop and printer are in different rooms will be taking them to the kitchen table where there is lot's of room and also bring my external CD Writer down as her laptop does not have a CD writer installed.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Try installing the drivers before attempting to connect to the printer.

icemanonline

Distinguished Member