Problem getting a decent 28"

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by lucerne20, Jun 7, 2004.

1. lucerne20

lucerne20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any people out there who have a near perfect 28" widescreen television from those currently available in the market place?

So far I have had twelve, yes twelve 28" widescreen televisions and all have gone back, and I will give John Lewis a lot of credit, they have been very very good.

I have had (so that everyone knows what I already have had since March 04)

1 Philips PW9308 - CVBS interference around and hard edges, un-natural picture
    2 Sony KV-28LS36 - Purity problem on left hand edge (blue stripe)
    3 Same as 2
    4 Sony KV-28DX50 - Same fault as 2 (and there are no speakers near it!)
    5 JVC 28X37HKE - Speaker rattle when turned up above 10%
    6 JVC 28X37HKE - Pink blotches along the top edge in panoramic mode
    7 JVC 28X37HKE - Pulsing picture (Engineer said it was the power supply)
    8 JVC 28X37HKE - Slanted picture (Over 15mm from left to right, but only at the bottom, No geometric tilt fix, only on the 32")
    9 Philips PW6517 - Pink blotch on the top left corner, which moved to the right and back to the left (you get the picture)
    10 JVC 28T4 - High pitch whistle when any picture is displayed, very dull picture, glass seems dirty around the edges
    11 JVC 28T4 - High pitch whistle (less than 10 though) but picture is on a tilt of 20mm from left to right) and again a very dull picture, glass seems dirty around the edges even with the contrast at 80-90%
    12 Panasonic TX28PM11 - Screaming noise from tube when a picture was on the screen.

So you can see I have been though my fair share of TV's but I would recommend anyone buying from John Lewis as their customer service is second to none. But is anyone out there able to recommend a 28" widescreen TV for under £700 that would have some of these "features" missing?

Looking forward to some replies,

Andy

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Thomson and Toshiba might be worth a look. Perhaps also look out for some old stock models as they seem to have less psu problems and pulsing issues. Current sets are really built down to a price. A huge percentage of sets out there are now made by Vestel but looking at your list I would say you've probably avoided having one at all with the possible exception of the basic Philips widescreen set. CRT sets need a lot of careful setting up in the factory but its rare that they get the time to do it nowadays.

Also I'd recommend you get a 50hz set over a 100hz set if your going for a 28" model. You don't need 100hz for a 28" set. This cancels out Loewe as an option. Also very basic Toshiba and Thomson models are made by Vestel (very cheaply in turkey). You want a mid range Toshiba or Thomson with a pure flat tube and 50hz scanning.

Its very difficult to think of any current model or brand that doesn't have some issues though. Thomsons don't fit particularly good tuners generally but give an excellent RGB image (50hz models) where as Toshiba tend to fit excellent tuners but often don't have a straight through RGB mode meaning theres not a lot of difference between RGB and s-video.

3. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    How about JVC HV-28D40?

4. tall.small

tall.small
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Panasonic TX28PL1 50hz, and think it has an excellent picture. The newer models i've seen i've not been as impressed with. Also decent scart leads make a huge difference. It doesn't have the best speakers though, so only really recommend it if you will be using it with a home cinema system.

:)

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,772
    I've got JVC no 8 on the list and would suggest that it isn't a problem that affects all of them. Mine has a "kink" in the top right of a 4.3 picture (not something I'm losing sleep over) but is otherwise spot on. Very happy with the blighter all things considered.

EDIT which means I've got its code wrong in my sig :suicide:

6. lucerne20

lucerne20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was too impressed with the JVC in number 8, but it was on the suggestion of JL that I changed to another model.... It might be worth giving it another go but I might have a look into the Thomson and Toshiba models, although JL don't do Thomson Tv's////

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    With regard to the tilt on the JVC in number 8...

The geometry tilt on the 32" wouldn't cure this. I went through 3 HV32P37's which had a curving top or bottom of screen (but never both) - using the tilt could reduce the problem a bit, at the expense of creating a tilt in the other half of the screen. These are basically manufacturing defects.

(The fourth HV32P37 was spot on in terms of geometry but died within a couple of days of having recieved it :mad: )

Generally I think it's pretty much hit and miss as to whether you get a good version of a set or not. Quality control standards seem to have sunk across the board in the name of cutting unit costs

8. lucerne20

lucerne20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all who have replied, I am going to look at the Tosh but don't hold out any hope, I will probably get my 21" repaired and wait for LCDs to come down in price.....

9. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking into the Sony KD28Dx200 but still trying to find out if its anygood.

10. Catch22

Catch22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Sony KV28FX68 for just over a week now, and it's a cracker. I bought it on the strength of this review of the Sony KV32FX68. http://www.whatvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3013

Last Para of the review:

Overall, the 32FX68U is superb TV.It combines the usual Sony ring of authority with a performance that's as good as it gets unless you pay a whole lot more for resolution-boosting technology.
    Basic? Yes, Brilliant? Undoubtebly.

Verdict: FIVE STARS
    Who needs hi-tech processing when the picture's this good?

PS: I bought it from KK Electronics Ordered 4.30PM Tuesday, arrived up in West Yorkshire at 10.45AM Wednesday . Cost including delivery and excluding stand £461

11. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a near virgin as I've only return two Thomson 32WB643s 's.

12. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

.......... get a life !!!!!!

13. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Counting the tv I got from Asda and the two thomsons makes three tv's I've returned.

I've had other tv's. I had one tv repared twice but gave up on it when it went wrong again - I gave it to my sister three years ago and it hasn't gone wrong once since she's had it.

My ex-girlfriend took a tv with her when she moved out.

I still have a b/w tv that is 22years old and it still works. I used to use it with my Superboard 2 (anyone remember that, no sound or color) and my vic20.

So what is the oldest tv you have that still works ?

Is all this relevent !!!!!!!

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have the Panasonic TX28PS1 as recommended by what hifi. Fantastic flat screen 50hz set. It now been superceeded so its now on sale. So its a bargain now:D