Problem from neighbour's wifi?

chipset

Standard Member
I have been suffering from intermittent broadband AND Sky signal problems.
Occasionally I get pixelation and clicking sounds on my TV (Sky freesat) and when I switch to watching TV on the computer (Orange fixed line broadband) I am getting similar pixelation and clicking (albeit a lot less).
Can something disrupt both signals? I was wondering about the next door but one's wifi.
I live in a small terrace - I don't have a dect phone, microwave etc and the heating has not been on. I only get the problems when the neighbour is home. It all cleared up completely when he was away for 3 weeks. Seems too much of a coincidence.:confused:
Is there anything I can try to improve things? - different cabling, plugs etc
The Sky box and the router are not near each other but are next to the party wall nearest to the neighbour's property (which is next door but one). The Sky box is not connected to a phone line and I have splitters on all phone sockets.
Cheers.

Last edited:

larkone

Change your wifi channel - that should solve it. log into your router, got to wifi section and select a different channel.

chipset

Standard Member
Thanks but it's not me who is on wifi - it's the neighbour.
The online opinion seems to be that it can't affect other properties in this way but I only get it when he is at home - and since he is a teacher and on holiday it's currently throughout the day.... :confused:

larkone

Sorry - misunderstood your post. you are dealing with two distinct problems:

1) Sky signal
2) Broadband

They may be both aggravated by you neighbours kit but you would need to resolve them separately. The first thing to do is when you are having problems you should go and have a chat with your neighbour to find out exactly what he is doing at the time and on what equipment. Until you have checked that out it would be a lot of guesswork to find the root cause. The broadband may just be contention on the lines which will get worse when schools out. Is he streaming Teachers TV for example? Try running Speedtest.net and pingtest.net when he is not there and when the problems start and see what the difference is. If there is a major difference you will need to talk to your BB provider to see what they can do.

The Sky signal problems can be checked by looking at the signal strength and quality in the services menu. again you need to check them when you have a clean signal and also when the signal is bad.

Once you have investigated those routes and eliminated them then it could be mains interference, which is much more difficult to track down but could be caused by a faulty piece of kit next door - like a failing power supply in his computer.

Basically you need to go through a process of elimination and you will need your neighbours help on this.

Last edited:

MarkE19

Once you have investigated those routes and eliminated them then it could be mains interference,
This is what I was thinking could be the cause of the otherwise 2 separate issues.

I would suggest plugging the Sky box and Orange router etc into a surge protected mains block to see if that manages to filter the interference.

Mark.

chipset

Standard Member
Thanks folks. Something odd happened. Shortly after posting, the interference (which has been going on for months) stopped!
Maybe 'whoever' reads these forums... :rolleyes:
But I'll take on board the suggestions if it starts up again.
Cheers

larkone

Perhaps what caused it, if it was electrical, finally died. Glad it is sorted though.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom