problem finalizing on a XS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by graham.myers, Jan 10, 2005.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Wrote my first DVD-R this weekend (onto a datawrite x4 fuji whatsit). It was a dump of a TV programme of about 1.5 hours from my TiVo it wrote ok, played ok. Then I finalised it and it came up err=13 on the display :(

ejected the disc, re-inserted it and it plays fine. Tried the disk on a laptop upstairs and it worked fine in that (Dell CDRW/DVD Reader).

Took it to work and it wouldn't work on a HP laptop (CDRW/DVD Reader) and a HP desktop (DVD Writer). Put it my HP desktop (CDRW/DVD Reader) and it was fine. Its the same model of desktop, not sure (yet) about makes of drive

any ideas to make it more compatible. :lease:

2. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My experiences:-

First, the XS32 manual says the machine won't work with x4 media. However it has worked OK for me, with a Shintaro x4 DVD-R.

Second, I found that after finalizing a DVD-RW, the XS32 said it couldn't recognize the disc. Nevertheless the disc played OK on the XS32 and on my PC.

Third, some older DVD drives are not able to read home-burnt DVD's, of some, or any, flavours. My 2-year-old Gateway laptop has this problem.

Fourth, I have found that cheap unbranded DVD-R's (recorded on my PC) become unplayable soon afterwards, and turn yellow when exposed to daylight!

3. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You must have a different manual to me. Mine says "Discs compatible with 2x speed recording (labeled Ver.2.1/2x etc) and discs compatible with 4x speed recording (labeled Ver 2.1/4x etc) can also be used"

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I chose the media based on the compatability thread on here.

5. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a problem finalising -RW on a couple of occasions, but ONLY under the following circumstances.

- Un-Finalised a -RW to add a title to it
    - Added additional title
    - Re-Finalised disc

It came up with an error after the finalisation was complete.

Eject disc, reinsert disc and it works fine in all devices (my PC, Laptop, stand-alone player and XS32).

Incidentally, ALL my -R recording has been on Verbatim 8X media without a single problem.

6. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wouldn't worry about the error, it just gets conufused ocasionally straight after it has finailized a disk. Have you noticed on a pc that if you want to verify a burnt disk the software (nero) ejects the disk first.

Your disk has burnt fine and is properly compatable with the toshiba, its the other DVD readers its having problems with. I've had similar problems on PC burnt disks.

The only way to make it more compatable is to try and find media that all the DVD drives like.. probably something quite expensive