1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem downloading emails

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ian J, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have had problems downloading emails for the last few days and haven't actually managed to download anything since Monday.

I use Mailwasher and can see what emails are on the NTL mailserver and I can even delete the obvious spam but everytime I try and download them I get an error message :-

I have tried both dialup and broadband and whilst I normally use Outlook I even tried Outlook Express and nothing seems to work.

Edit - I'm not sure that the problem is with NTL as I have just tried to download something from a Yahoo account and that won't work either.

Any ideas anyone ?

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    what firewall /AV are you running? - I'd try disabling these and have a go...

It's a 'server-disconnect' error, usually network/router/firewall

If you haven't changed any config on your router, it's affecting multiple accounts, and your internet connection is working, I'd guess at your FW/AV software playing games with you.

Either that, or possibly a corrupt user profile on the PC, add a new PC user, and configure the new users Email for your NTL Email....

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    could also be a good old fashioned trashed outlook installation... :rolleyes:

Outlook and express share some common components where POP/IMAP email are concerned, if one dies it often takes the other one with it..

Either maybe try re-installing Outlook, or alternatively download thunderbird and see if you can get that setup and working.... should provide the answer if nothing in the other post does.... :smashin:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I did recently upgrade to Zone Alarm Security Suite 6 and have had one or two problems since then but I have shut it down and still can't download. I have also tried re-installing Outlook but that hasn't done anything either.

I've never heard of Thunderbird and assume that it's an email program. I'll have a look around for it and give it a try and see if that cures the problem.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thunderbird is the Mozilla email client and works well for me, not as powerful as Outlook at the moment though.

Have you checked that neither of your incoming or outgoing servers have switched to/from SSL?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    and again in English :rotfl:

If it's any help I don't have any problems sending emails as I have tested this by sending emails to myself. I can read them on the mailserver via Mailwasher but can't download them.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    the plot thickens... that would rule out user profile problems at least.

starting to look more and more like some kind of FW behaviour on that basis...
    Outbound = OK Inbound = FUBAR ??

bit odd though that it still happens with Zonealarm turned off, or I'd be convinced.....

EDIT: missed EJs post... there's your answer, another zonealarm 6.0 victim..
    SW firewalls are more trouble than the stuff they are supposed to be protecting you from half the time.... :rolleyes:

9. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    As above,this problem is quite common with Zone Alarm,and another quaint little feature of Zone alarm is even when you disable it it will still cause problems,you will need to disable then completley uninstall the piece of cr@p :mad:

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    With Zone Alarm 6 not running at all I still couldn't download any emails so I uninstalled the whole program and re-installed my old version of Zone Alarm Pro 5 and lo and behold the problem disappeared so it would seem that far from being an upgrade, Zone Alarm 6 is a serious downgrade.

Many thanks John