• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Problem displaying 1080p and 3D with a Playstation 3 and Samsung LE46C750

steveg66

Standard Member
Hi,

Have just bought a Samsung LE46C750 and have hooked it up directly to my playstation 3 (fat) with a HDMI 1.4a cable.

I can't get a 1080p picture (1080i is fine), nor will it recognise 3D discs. I've tried both Piranha 3D Blu-ray, and Call of Duty: Black Ops. I just get the message to ensure I have a 3D enabled player/TV when trying to play in 3D.

I've got the latest firmware version on the PS3, and have also tried restoring to factory settings on the PS3 and rerunning the display config (both auto and custom) and I can't get it to recognise 1080p or play 3D.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

dennett316

Prominent Member
There is a setting on the PS3 you have to change to enable it to detect a 3D panel, but I cannot remember what it is offhand and with the snooker about to start I won't be able to check for a while. Have a careful look through all the settings. As for no 1080p, perhaps there's a problem with the cable or HDMI port? Try it in another port of the TV or try another cable.

daz_75

Established Member
i didn't have to change any settings on my thin PS3 so not sure why you'd have to, as it's just the same firmware on the fat and thin, check the cable maybe?

lisnalee

Prominent Member
try this: Firstly switch your PS3 off.

Press and hold down the power button on the front panel for about 5/6 seconds this will force the ps3 into an auto detect mode. You should see a message on the screen telling you that is has detected as hdmi connection and asking if you want to use that. Select yes and after a few seconds it should come up with the max setting available on your set which hopefully will be showing it as 1080p 3D.

steveg66

Standard Member
Hi, thanks everyone for feedback so far.

Looks like a dodgy cable. I swapped the new 1.4 cable for my pretty old 1.3 - and it worked!

Reran the automatic display setup on PS3 and it detected 1080P and 3D first time. Black Ops now working in 3D, but Piranha is still complaining that I need a 3D capable TV....

Anything I'm missing?

lisnalee

Prominent Member
Hi, thanks everyone for feedback so far.

Looks like a dodgy cable. I swapped the new 1.4 cable for my pretty old 1.3 - and it worked!

Reran the automatic display setup on PS3 and it detected 1080P and 3D first time. Black Ops now working in 3D, but Piranha is still complaining that I need a 3D capable TV....

Anything I'm missing?

The piranha disc might just be incompatible with the fat ps3, I've read elsewhere that the monsters v aliens disc can't play on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom