Question Problem copying between usb drives via Humax Fox T2 - will NAS be faster

jasons180

Novice Member
I am having a big problem copying files from one usb drive to another using the Webif interface on a Humax Fox T2. Both external usb drives are connected to the Humax using a usb hub because there is only one usb socket on the Humax.

Copying from one usb drive to the other is causing the Humax to be unresponsive at times. I guess this is because the Humax is processing the file copy ahead of other tasks.

I have just added to my network a Synology NAS drive for storage and I noticed that it can take 2 usb drives and was wondering if it would be faster to copy files via the NAS instead of the Humax. In this case, I would not use the usb hub but connect a usb drive into each of the sockets on the NAS. I would then use the NAS web interface to copy the files from one usb to the other.

So should it be faster to copy from one usb to the other using the NAS unit?
Also I notice that the Humax stores recordings as 4 related files but only shows 1 file on screen. Is it just a case of copying 1 file or all 4?

Thanks

Last edited:

examiga1990

I think you might be in for a shock. Copying from usb hd to Nas or visa versa is a right pain. There not gearered up that way. Dont think its like pluging a usb HD in you pc and copy away its not. Its the way NAS work. Dowloading via Ethernet cable via router say a torrent. Is far quicker.

So it might be even quicker just to download them again.............straight to your NAS. You try it yourself copy a film (from usb to nas) over and see the speed

jimscreechy

I think you might be in for a shock. Copying from usb hd to Nas or visa versa is a right pain. There not gearered up that way. Dont think its like pluging a usb HD in you pc and copy away its not. Its the way NAS work. Dowloading via Ethernet cable via router say a torrent. Is far quicker.
I agree USB is host driven and All data you are copying will need to be read by the computer from the source drive, before they it is copied to the target drive; so the data path is from one drive up to the computer then back down the same wire after being process to the second drive on the same hub. Its not ideal since your also sharing bandwidth and port resources, and it is not uncommon for some systems to become unresponsive when used like this. A better way would be to use a separate port, but unfortunately you don't have one.

jasons180

Novice Member

So it might be even quicker just to download them again.............straight to your NAS. You try it yourself copy a film (from usb to nas) over and see the speed
I agree USB is host driven and All data you are copying will need to be read by the computer from the source drive, before they it is copied to the target drive; so the data path is from one drive up to the computer then back down the same wire after being process to the second drive on the same hub. Its not ideal since your also sharing bandwidth and port resources, and it is not uncommon for some systems to become unresponsive when used like this. A better way would be to use a separate port, but unfortunately you don't have one.

Thanks for your replies.

I think you might have misinterpreted what I wanted to do with my NAS.

I want to copy files from 1 usb drive to another usb drive. My NAS happens to have 2 usb ports and I think that I could plug the drives into each port and use the NAS web software to copy from one usb drive to another. Once I have copied the files across, I will remove the usb drives.

I wanted to know if there was any issues with doing this.

jimscreechy

There are no issues doing this. I can't attest to the speeds doing this, and of course how long it takes depends on how much data you have to transfer, but it is a perfectly accptable way of doing things.

examiga1990

my gut feeling is it will be the same (speed) as normal copy from nas to usb or visa versa as your still using/via the NAS. But suppose try and see and do speed test

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom