1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem connecting Wireless Access Point to Network

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by harrisuk, Jun 4, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Wondered if anyone could help. I am having major problems setting up my wireless network. I have a wireless access point which I will be connecting to my router. It will link to my laptop (PCMIA) and another pc with a pci wireless card.

Basically for the time being I am just trying to get it to work with the laptop. With the card connected it finds the wireless network but I cant connect to it, not even to connect to the access point to configure it.

In the instructions for the wireless access point it states to connect the acces point to a pc using a straight through network cable and manually set that PCs settings (Specified in instructions) to the access points IP range.

Neadless to say it dosnt work. I am using windows xp, can anyone help ?????

2. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both me and my bro have had nightmares setting up our wireless networks. I've been given a lot of advice on the issue and it seems that you really need to get the same brand of product throughout the network. I've finally gotten mine sorted, but unfortunately the encryption is not compatible between the two... not ideal.

Hope that helps.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yep I have come to the concusion I should have listened to a friend who said much the same.

Basically I have snet the lo back and will try again with Linksys.

4. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey,

I recently set up a wireless broadband router in the house which also (although I have not used it yet) serves as a network with the linked computers.

I use the Buffalo stuff, its got loads of awards from all magazines.

I did though have trouble connecting and found that the problem was due to me not having installed the very latest drivers!

So maybe that may be the problem?

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    mixing brands shouldn't be an issue really, never had this problem myself and we use all kinds of kit at work.

The problem probably lies with XP and it's attempts to configure wireless networking by itself.
    It fails miserably 9/10 times, the software for your WiFi card will do a much better job..

What card is in your laptop, is it a built in centrino type adapter or a pcmcia card? Which brand?

The default IP address for the WAP is usually 192.168.0.1
    Does this tally up with the instructions ?

reply with some details and i'm fairly sure we'll soon have it working..

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It was a real tek generic job. I agree I think XP was causing the problem. But even if I had got it working it would not have been up to the job.

I was only getting a 50% signal in the next room, I needed it to go up three stories !

I think part of the problem was that I had the access point connected to my router. The router was giving it an ip address outside its range. I changed the routers range to match the access points but then locked my other pcs out of the network.

Its gone bac k not I am going to get a decent Linksys router and cards, should have not problems. This is what happens sometimes when you try and do it on the cheap.

7. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In your documentation for the access point it should give you its ip address, for example, 192.168.7.1

Go into the network work settings for your wireless pcmcia network adapter on your laptop and set its ip address as 192.168.7.x, where x can equal any number between 2 and 255, and make sure the subnet mask is set as 255.255.255.0

when that is done open up an ie browser and enter the ip address for the access point, if all is configured correctly you should be prompted for the username and password, included with the documentation, to allow you to logon to the access point.

for the record, you can mix and match between different wireless products, there is no requirement to buy from the same brand.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes as you said I set the pc ip range to that of the wireless accesspoint. Could not communicate with it through IE.

Basically it was cheap stuff. I am sure if I had spent enough time playing with it I could have got to work. Unfortunately time is not something I have alot of. I have sent the lot back and will try again with some decent liksys kit.

Thanks for the help though I will let you know if I have problems again !

9. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    If you need to go up three floors you'll need a better antenna for the AP, whatever make you go for..

You'll need an antenna with around 9db gain to manage it IMO, a 12db would be ideal if you can afford..

once you've got the new kit, go to www.solwise.co.uk/networkingwireless.htm and price up a 12db omni-directional antenna... about £25 i think...

it's a helpful site, should point you towards the right cable to match their antenna to your AP..