Problem connecting tv and laptop using vga to component cable

H

hpofql

I have been trying on and off for nearly a year now and have had no success in being able to connect my tv to my laptop so have come here hoping that someone might know something that will help. I have a Panasonic TX36PL30 tv and a Viglen Futura laptop, The laptop doesn't have s-video. I bought a 15 pin VGA to component cable and connected it in the only places available on the tv and laptop so know they are okay but all I get on my tv is my wallpaper and that is incredibly garbled. Sometimes the image that is my wallpaper shows up very fuzzy in pink and purple x3 across and x4 down on the tv screenscreen and sometimes it is a multiplied flickery mess :( It doesn't matter what is on my laptop screen, the wallpaper is the only thing that will show up on the tv screen. I have tried changing the screen resolution, the maximum colours, the DPI settings and the screen refresh rate but have had no luck. Has anyone any idea what I might be doing wrong or if there is anything else I could buy that won't cost the earth that might allow me to connect? I can connect the laptop to PowerPoint projectors etc at work without any problems at all but just not my tv :mad:

Thanks in advance!

VGA is a connection type that normally carries an RGBHV video signal. YUV Component is a different signal to RGBHV and they are not directly compatable with each other. Therefore most equipment can't be connected together via these 2 connections. However some displays can be set to accept a YUV component signal via the VGA input and that is why the cable you bought exists.
I'm fairly sure that you wont be able to get your laptop connected to your TV with this lead. If VGA is the only output then you will need to convert the signal to one that the TV can accept, but this will be with hardware conversion and not just a cable.

Mark.

Hello hpofql

Quite a common 'problem' and as MarkE19 says its down to incompatible signal types (RGBHV to YPbPr) plus once you get that bit sorted you'll also have to make big changes to the line and refresh rate your PC is outputting as it will be way too high for your TV.

What content on the PC are you trying to view on the TV?

Whatever you do its not going to look very 'sharp' once you convert it to YPbPr and change the format to match the TV?

You can install relatively low cost PC>TV converters but do keep in mind the image your TV will produce will not look anywhere near as good as what your seeing at work on presentation projectors - see http://www.averm.co.uk/avermedia/aver/products_computertv.asp?show=6

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom