• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Problem connecting to surround sound amp

Kerr Avon

Novice Member
Hi all. Just got an Onkyo 605 surround sound amp/receiver and I am having problems as detailed below.

My Xbox 360 is connected to the 605 via HDMI and the 605 is connected to my TV (Panasonic TH42PX70) via HDMI.

I currently have no other inputs connected to the 605.

When I play a game on my Xbox, everything is fine - I get a 720p picture on the TV and 5.1 sound processed through the 605 to the speakers.

HOWEVER, when I try to watch a DVD on the XBox 360, the TV screen remains black and I hear fragmented sound coming from the speakers. I hear the soundtrack for a few seconds, then the sound drops while the HDMI logo on the 605's front panel display flashes for a few seconds, then the sound resumes for a few seconds (still no picture on the TV) and the process repeats over and over.

If I eject the DVD, the XBox 360 dashboard reappears on the screen and it reports the following error message:
"The secure connection between your console and the TV has been lost, or your console or TV does not support HDCP. For more info go to www.xbox.xom/support."

When I connect the XBox direct to the TV using HDMI, missing out the amp completely, the DVDs play fine on the TV.

Anyone else having a similar problem playing DVD's on the 360 using an Onkyo 605 connected via HDMI - or, more to the point, has anyone managed to get it to work? :(

Thanks in advance for any help.

mark1000

Distinguished Member
Hi all. Just got an Onkyo 605 surround sound amp/receiver and I am having problems as detailed below.

My Xbox 360 is connected to the 605 via HDMI and the 605 is connected to my TV (Panasonic TH42PX70) via HDMI.

I currently have no other inputs connected to the 605.

When I play a game on my Xbox, everything is fine - I get a 720p picture on the TV and 5.1 sound processed through the 605 to the speakers.

HOWEVER, when I try to watch a DVD on the XBox 360, the TV screen remains black and I hear fragmented sound coming from the speakers. I hear the soundtrack for a few seconds, then the sound drops while the HDMI logo on the 605's front panel display flashes for a few seconds, then the sound resumes for a few seconds (still no picture on the TV) and the process repeats over and over.

If I eject the DVD, the XBox 360 dashboard reappears on the screen and it reports the following error message:
"The secure connection between your console and the TV has been lost, or your console or TV does not support HDCP. For more info go to www.xbox.xom/support."

When I connect the XBox direct to the TV using HDMI, missing out the amp completely, the DVDs play fine on the TV.

Anyone else having a similar problem playing DVD's on the 360 using an Onkyo 605 connected via HDMI - or, more to the point, has anyone managed to get it to work? :(

Thanks in advance for any help.
Hi, i don't have your amp but it sounds like a handshake problem to me from your amp, you could try another HDMI cable but TBO i'm grasping at straws.

Mark.

PS, i'm sure when everyone wakes up in the morning you will get some help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom