Problem connecting Playstation to AVR

Dave163

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a PS4 Slim connected to a Sony LCD TV and projector via a Yamaha AVR (RXV477). The output from the AVR is split via an HDMI signal splitter so I can either play on the projector or on the TV.

Everything has been working fine for the two years since I got the PS4 until today, when I turned it on and got a black screen that every few seconds briefly changed to a flickering snowstorm. I took a slow motion video on my phone of the screen and it looked like the PS4 startup screen was showing briefly then it would go black again and keep cycling.

The cycling black-snowstorm screen persisted even when I booted up the PS4 into safe mode. However I discovered that if I plugged the PS4 directly into the TV HDMI socket, it boots both into safe mode and normal mode just fine, including audio.

I have tried adjusting the PS4 output to every resolution option - 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and Auto - but even on 480, which the AVR can detect, the same black-snowstorm happens. Also, if I turn the PS4 on when connected directly to the TV so that the home screen and theme music is playing, then I connect the PS4 cable to the AVR, there is no picture and no sound, and if I conntect back to the TV directly again, there is sound and picture.

As far as I know everything is working on latest firmware/software. All cables are good (I've tried several), and all AVR ports are good (I've tried them all with a laptop). So why has the PS4 suddenly stopped sending a proper HDMI signal to the AVR, yet continues to working with the TV? If it won't go through the AVR any more it's a bummer as I use the PS4 for watching movies on the projector.

No fault with the splitter - if I connect the HDMI out from the AVR straight to the TV but connect the PS4 into the AVR, there's no picture. (Well, mostly black screen, punctuated every few seconds by a split second snowy white screen with the hint of a PS4 logo then black again, etc etc.

The Sony Playstation support centre unhelpfully says that if you connect your PS4 via an AVR and get no picture, but you connect it directly to the TV you get a picture, there must be a problem with the AVR. In various Youtube videos and web fora where people describe snowy PS4pictures, the advice invariably is either a dodgy HDMI cable, HDMI socket or "switch everything off and back on again" but clearly that hasn't worked in my case.

It's incredibly frustration when until today everything worked fine via the AVR, and Sony seem to suggesting I need a new AVR (even though the same cables and inputs have no problem displaying a laptop input for instance). I don't want to replace the AVR only to find the problem persists requiring me to buy another PS4 that might or might not have the same issue.

If the issue doesn't persist if you remove the splitter then the splitter is more than likely causing the issues.

For testing purposes, remove the splitter from the equation and then try conveying a signal first to your TV and then to your PJ without the splitter being in the HDMI chain.

What are the results?

Nothing you've done so far rules out the splitter or your cabling as being at fault.

Last edited:
Laptop - is possibly not HDCP compliant so may not show up certain types of problem.

Testing - as dante01 says your description of your tests are a bit random, simplify down to Source direct to each Display, if that works then add in the 1x2 Distribution Amp (Splitter), if that works then add the AVR.

HotPlug - you have to be careful if you are swapping HDMI cables around when devices are powered On or in Standby, you can fry the electronics behind the HDMI socket.

AVR - another option is to make a note of any customisation you have made and then try a factory reset.

Joe

Thanks for suggestions above. As of last night the PS4 wasn't working via splitter and AVR or via AVR, but was showing a picture and audio via direct connection to TV. I'm guessing since there was neither sound nor a proper picture (when I tried filming in slowmotion there was some sort of PS4 image but like one frame every ten seconds), the absence of sound as well would point to an HDMI compliance issue rather than faulty video chip for instance? When that happens how would you establish if it's the TV, PS4 or AVR that's at fault?

Today I turned off everything at the mains for 15 minutes, turned them all back on - and PS4 is (at the moment) now working again fine via AVR and splitter. But if it happens again it will be annoying to have to turn everything off and wait a while (yesterday I turned off the TV, PS4 and AVR but not all at the same time....) and not know if it's a one off or a regular failure now. What bugs me is when you get everything working, then a component fails so you replace it only to find it's not compatible with your other stuff which you then have to upgrade too...

Incidentally I didn't realise you shouldn't hotswap HDMI plugs - don't we do it all the time when connecting laptops to displays for instance?

There are instances where hotswapping HDMI connections has resulting in it causing damage to the HDMI board. HDMI org suggest that HDMI is hot swappable, but ignore this and be cautious when connecting and disconnecting HDMI devices.

Also note that HDMI is still active while a device is in standby so simply putting it into standby while connecting devices isn't really any better than leaving them powered up. A current is still be conveyed via the HDMI interface.

Can the HDMI cable be hot-plugged, will it burn out the amplifier?:​

Last edited:
As above if your devices are individually earthed ‘HotPlugging’ HDMI was supposed to be safe!

In reality with so many devices not individually earthed you are taking a risk, plenty folk will attest to a pretty decent ‘tingle’ as they reach across the rear of an AVR whilst holding the metal hood of an HDMI cable!

Joe

… plenty folk will attest to a pretty decent ‘tingle’ as they reach across the rear of an AVR whilst holding the metal hood of an HDMI cable!

Joe

Don't, you'll encourage some people looking for cheap frills to try it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom