1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem connecting PC to PJ via DVI/HDMI

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ray, May 12, 2005.

1. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

I've just got a PTAE700 and was checking connections (to make sure all is ok before all the cables get buried in the wall) when I came a cross a problem.

I have a Radeon 9600 Pro with vga and dvi outputs. When I connect the PJ via vga all is fine and dandy. When I connect the PJ via DVI to VGA and use it as my second monitor all is fine also. BUT when I use my DVI/HDMI cable I get nothing on the HDMI input on the PJ.

I have no other HDMI sources to try with the projector and don't want to play DVDs via the VGA connection.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be ?

Thanks

Ray
    :)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't have an AE700 but have you checked its' menus to see if you need to select HDMI input? I've read in the past people with some pjs having to set something in the menu, personally I've not had to do that so can't speak from experience.

I am assuming you've poked around the ATI Control Panel and ensured the DVI port is activated, I'm not sure if it needs that doing before it'll output VGA (if not then you could see VGA even though the digital interface is not enabled).

3. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmmm . Re the DVI port. Yes I have 'poked' around the ATI panel but had assumed that as I was getting output from the DVI socket then this part of the equation was ok. You think I might just be getting vga out of the DVI ?

As for the HDMI input on the PJ I was expecting auto-detect to pick up a signal as it does on the other inputs. Better RTFM when I get home just in case. Wish I had another HDMI source to check this against. Where is the Samsung HD950 when you need it !! :rolleyes:

Another point (and I hope this isn't a Red Herring) but when I first linked the PC to PJ via DVI/HDMI the ATi control panel would not let me use the PJ as a second monitor. If I put a tick in the box to 'extend desktop to this monitor' it immediately removed it and ignored me! Damn cheek. So I was slightly suprised when using DVI/VGA the Ati panel let me go ahead. Does this support your theory in the 2nd part of your answer ? All very confusing.

Cheers

Ray
    :)

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You description of using DVI->VGA made me assume you're using the adapter, this simply provides access to the RGB pins in the DVI-I connector, you're not using a digital connection at all, simply 2 VGA outputs.

Problems with DVI connections are sometimes down to the graphics cards having problems identifying what's at the other end. DVI is an intelligent interface where the source (graphics card) interrogates the receiver (projector) to find out what it is and what it can do. If this dialog break down it (the DVI output) may refuse to work

I can't say I've seen the exact scenario you have and can't really think what else to suggest. Clearly the suggestion of something in the 700's menus isn't applicable since you're having problems activating the DVI output.

5. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi KraGorn,

That's helpful actually. I have 2 dvi adaptors - 1 DVI/VGA which came with the card and 1 DVI/HDMI which I bought from Lindy with the cable. I didn't realise about this intelligent interface bit and assumed DVI was output from the DVI socket regardless. Thanks for this pointer. I will investigate further as I suspect you are right and that it is a ATi DVI output issue rather than a cable/PJ issue.

Cheers

Ray :)

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You obviously understand what I'm referring to but you may find this article on HDMI and DVI a useful in-depth description of what's going on here.

7. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I have the same set up and it works fine.

Silly question but have you turned on the DVI under the displays setting?

8. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    KraGorn,

Thanks for the link - an interesting read.

John,

I need to go home and dig out the manual and double check. Trouble is I have nothing else to cross check with i.e. no othere HDMI source to check the cable/PJ input part and no device with DVI input to check the PC/DVI adaptor part.

I'll play around with various options tonight and report back.

Thanks

Ray

PS - when you say you have exactly the same set-up do you mean Radeon 9600/DVI-HDMI adaptor/HDMI-HDMI cable/PTAE700 ? Great if you do. :)

9. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    What I meant was

In XP right click a empty space on the desk top
    click properties
    click the settings tab
    click advanced button
    click Displays