problem connecting ibook g4 to virgin broadband

bighfishing

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i have just purchased a ibook g4 and cant get it connected to my ntl/virgin broadband. i currently have an imac g5 connected to my ntl modem via ethernet cable and it works perfect, i plugged the ethernet cable into my laptop and tried to copy the same settings from my g5 but that didnt work so i ran the original ntl install disc and that didnt work either it said my cable was not connected but it was, the laptop has a fresh install of tiger on it. does anybody know what im doing wrong please, thought i would try and sort it out myself before ring virgin india and getting nowhere.

have you tried resetting your ntl/virgin box by unplugging it for a minute first?

thanks guys that seems to have worked but when i plug the ethernet cable back into my g5 i have to do the reset again, and then again when i plug the laptop back in. i was hoping to be able to just plug either one in as and when i want to until i get a wireless router for the laptop.

You could always leave the iMac plugged in and save the hassle by sharing its connection ie. access the internet wirelessly via the G5 - the downside would be it would have to be on for the iBook to have access but it would solve your problem.

Hi

The easiest solution would be to get a router - this would enable you to have either or both machines connected at the same time.

The requirement to reboot the cable modem when you connect a device with a different MAC address is a long standing (10 years or more) issue and is unlikely to change.

Steve

i will get a router next week, am i right in thinking i can connect to it with an ethernet cable for my g5 as well as wireless for the laptop and will i do away with my modem, does the router replace it.

Not quite - you keep your modem which will get connected to the 'WAN' port on your router.

You can then plug your G5 directly into the router and let the G4 get it's connection via wireless.

Which VM package are you on? If you are on the 20Mbit service, you need to be careful with your router choice as many lesser routers will cripple the speed.

Steve

I noticed your signature says you have Sky. It's an unusual combo for someone who is in a cabled area...

Can you just confirm how you currently get your broadband service. Is it via cable (thick coax with a metal plug on the end), or is it via your phone line?

Steve

thanks steve, im only on the 2mb package so i should be ok, is there anything else i should look out for when choosing a router, is there any you would recommend or best place to get one from.

For Virgin cable subscribers, you can plug the cable modem straight into a Time Capsule or AirPport Extreme. Should also work with an Express, although you'll be restricted to wireless only then.

Draytek's Vigor 2820 will work with both DSL and ADSL connections, and if necessary, both at the same time! If you're moving between both connections, need cheap WAN failover of load balancing, this is the box for you. Might have a couple of firmware bugs as it's brand new though. Use a Netgear DM111P or a Draytek Vigor110, you can configure a 2820 for use with 2 ADSL connections.

I noticed your signature says you have Sky. It's an unusual combo for someone who is in a cabled area...

Can you just confirm how you currently get your broadband service. Is it via cable (thick coax with a metal plug on the end), or is it via your phone line?

Steve

i get my broadband service via cable as i dont have an active phone line. i have sky tv because of the great deal they gave me but i dont get my broadband through sky because i would have to start paying an £11 per month line rental and i get my broadband for £10 per month from virgin.

Netgear WGR614 should do the job fine. Whatever router you buy make sure it's for cable connections and not ADSL.

i have just been reading some reviews on the WGR315 on amazon and someone on there says its not compatible with mac, where as someone else has told me they are all suitable for mac :confused:

Routers are operating system independent and don't care what you have connected to them so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

dont they come with a software disc you have to load onto your computer, if so the disc will need to be compatible with mac or is the disc just for instructions.

You don't need the setup CD.

Simply hook up one of your computers with an ethernet cable to the router. Check the network settings after about 15 seconds and you will see the IP address. The router will be .1.

So for example if your PC is given the address 192.168.1.50, your router IP address will be 192.168.1.1.

All you then need to do is open your web browser and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and you can access the configuration pages.

Steve

im going to get a linksys WRT54GL or GS router for about £40, ive been having a look round various websites and these get some excellent reviews when used with pc or mac and are very easy to set up.

thanks for all the help guys.

I have the Linksys and its been rock solid ever since I plugged it in (about 4 years ago?). Once you have it and are familiar with it have a look at the free DD-WRT firmware its much more user friendly than Linksys' own.

ISTR they are ~£30 at PCW if that helps.

thanks for that, ive been trying to have a look on the pc world website all night but it seems to be down, i will call in on the way home from work tomorrow.

That will cost you more...

Best thing to do is book it for a 'store collection' via the website. Will probably save you £10-£15 - possibly even more.

Steve

ive tried the collect at store thing with pc world a few times before but it never lets me pick a store, if there asking rip off prices in store i will order one from amazon for £39.99.

Shame you can't get the web collect thing to work. I've used it dozens of times in the past without a problem!

£44.97 via that route - so still a fiver cheaper at Amazon.

Try www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk as well - they are a really good company and have excellent customer service.

Steve

pc world want £65 for the linksys WRT54GS so it looks like amazon and save £25.

Actually they were reported as selling for £8.97 <<< on clearance on 10 May.... May be worth a look if its near.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom