Problem backing up in original ratio format

Aimsbury

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the right thread - I did a search and couldn't find the right answer.

I'm trying to back up a recorded programme from my sky+ box to my laptop using an ezcap usb capture device, but it will only take the image as 4:3 whereas the original programme was recorded in
16:9 (BT Sports HD). It's a football match so I don't want to cut off any of the image by reformatting after copying and to get it back to widescreen.

Can anyone help me out at all? Many thanks in advance

10 seconds looking at their website makes me ask

How are you connecting the ezcap to the sky box?
Looking at their site, it looks like the only way is composite video or scart....

If it is one of those, is the scart output on the sky box set to 16:9?

Also, you do realise that the result won't be HD don't you?

Thanks for the response. Yes, it's a composite video system and I'm aware it won't be HD, it's just the ratio I'm having issues with. I've got the software set to 16:9 and I have the scart output on the skybox set to 16:9 but still when you capture, it records in 4:3. I can't seem to find a setting that works

10 seconds looking at their website makes me ask

How are you connecting the ezcap to the sky box?
Looking at their site, it looks like the only way is composite video or scart....

If it is one of those, is the scart output on the sky box set to 16:9?

Also, you do realise that the result won't be HD don't you?

A composite widescreen image is 720x576 the same as a 4:3 image so it will need to be stretched on playback just as a TV would do.As the same software is used for ezcap's HD capture product I would guess the 16:9 option is only applicable to that product.

Is the recorded content squashed horizontally (i.e. folk look tall and thin)? If so I can help you with this.

:)

Not sure if this is relevant but,
I had the same issue recording to DVD some years ago from sky+.
Everything recorded was displayed as 4x3 and not the 16x9 it should have been.
I had to manually edit the video files from the dvd to set the 16x9 flag.

If you don't find a solution, I'd recommend changing to a Hauppauge usb capture device. In general they are far superior to the ezcap, especially for archiving where you will want decent quality.

Most importatly for your case, the associated WinTV program has a feature enabling you to force a 16:9 Aspect ratio for analogue capture (by default the aspect ratio flag is 4:3).

Worth keeping an eye on ebay, you need one with the analogue inputs, I've got the HVR-950 and its very good. I use it for the same purpose as you (although via s-video from a Samsung HD box) and it will do exactly what you want.

Not sure if this is relevant but,
I had the same issue recording to DVD some years ago from sky+.
Everything recorded was displayed as 4x3 and not the 16x9 it should have been.
I had to manually edit the video files from the dvd to set the 16x9 flag.

Same here on the odd occasion I want to get something off my Sky box as a digital file. I record to DVD and then rip on my PC using 'Handbrake' with 'Anamorphic' set to 'Custom' and 'Display Width' set to '1024'... fixes the problem.

:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom